Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titanium Comps

surfmaster

Hi Everyone:

I'm thinking about changing my steel comp to a titanium one. I'm having my gunsmith install a flutted bull barrel on my gun, which currently has a regular barrel with a cone compensator. The advantage of the bull barrel is that I can install poppleholes on the barrel. To make up for the weight of the bull barrel, I'm leaning toward getting a titanium comp.

How long do they last compared to the steel version?

How does a titanium (or any comp) wear out for that matter and how will you know?

How will a flutted bull barre/titanium comp combination affect the cycling speed of the gun compared to my existing regular barrel/steel cone comp? (I have a shortened slide 38 supercomp).

Thanks in advance for your replies!

If you're just doing it to put holes in the barrel, you can do it with a coned barrel no problem. Just ask Bob at Brazos or J.L. Hardy.

Sorry... don't know nothin' 'bout Ti comps.

They balance the gun differently. Ti comps result in more of a Limited-gun balance [and overall weight] while steel comps result in more muzzle-heavy guns.

The factory STI and SV bull barrels weight a LOT more than a skinny barrel and steel cone-comp. A 5.5" bull with TI comp will weigh in between those two & balance the gun further back than the other two.

You should be able to use a heavier slide spring with the Ti comp.

I have about 1.5K through one of Brian H./expiramental machine Ti comp w/ NO appreciable wear despite 9major loads. The gun is an open Glock so I cannot comment on weight distribution as to 1911s.