Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X-treme 147 HP vs RN HPCB

Andreas

Anyone notice a performance/accuracy difference between X-Treme 147 HP and RN HPCB bullets? I've found that JHPs are generally more accurate than FMJs, and I understand it's due to how the jacket is drawn, but the X-Tremes are plated, so maybe things are different?

I tried the xtreme hp. Wasn't anything crazy. I didn't notice anymore accuracy at all. The hpcb are supposed to be better if you are shooting 9mm major velocities. Since you are asking about 147gr,  I doubt hpcb serve any advantage over the standard rn for 147. even at major velocities for that weight  you are under 1200fps which a standard plated bullet should handle just fine. Xtreme bullets are ok but there is way better out there. It is my understanding that the advantage for the hollow point jacketed bullets over the round nose is that the bottom of the bullet is jacketed on the hp. Most bullet manufacturers that have jacketed bullets, the round nose bullets have the base of the bullet exposed and not jacketed. Think it causes some leading issues for some people.  

24 minutes ago, Bullets said:

I tried the xtreme hp. Wasn't anything crazy. I didn't notice anymore accuracy at all. The hpcb are supposed to be better if you are shooting 9mm major velocities. Since you are asking about 147gr,  I doubt hpcb serve any advantage over the standard rn for 147. even at major velocities for that weight  you are under 1200fps which a standard plated bullet should handle just fine. Xtreme bullets are ok but there is way better out there. It is my understanding that the advantage for the hollow point jacketed bullets over the round nose is that the bottom of the bullet is jacketed on the hp. Most bullet manufacturers that have jacketed bullets, the round nose bullets have the base of the bullet exposed and not jacketed. Think it causes some leading issues for some people.  

XTREME HP's are rated for the same velocities as their HPCB. I have verified this many times with the company.

However, the fact still remains they are the least accurate bullets I have tried. At any velocity.

12 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I'll take coated bullets over plated any day. Especially shooting minor or .40 major.

Me too. I used to use Rainier and xtreme. Steered away from them after having some issues with xtreme and accuracy. Primarily using coated and jacketed now.