Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45acp With Clays Need Help

John Baier

Hey guys,

I know I'm a idiot :huh: . Shot my chrono working up a load with clays. I really need data for Rainiers 200 swc and straight clays. Right now I'm using a col of 1.25. Is 4.3grs going to be to light? or should I bump it up to 4.4 or 4.5? I hate to get down to Kentucky this weekend and end up shooting minor.

Thanks,

John Baier

"dumb a$$"

John,

I just worked up a load for the Single Stack Classic last weekend.

200gr RN Rainer

4.7 Clays

Fed Large Pistol primers

1.275 OAL

Gave me 841 FPS

168.2 PF

Out of a Kimber full size 1911

Hope this helps

John,

I just worked up a load for the Single Stack Classic last weekend.

200gr RN Rainer

4.7 Clays

Fed Large Pistol primers

1.275 OAL

Gave me 841 FPS

168.2 PF

Out of a Kimber full size 1911

Hope this helps

Smitty- Did you see any pressure signs using 4.7? Also is 1.275 a little long for swc's. I'm using a Kimber 5 inch by the way. thanks

Not anything I thought dangerous. I got a little flow back but no flattening. It's obviously not a very high pressure round, so I wasn't overly concerned. Plus that's what it took to get to major.

Yeah, 1.275 is a little long. I used to load to 1.255 and I mainly shoot .40, when I switched the press back over to .45 I loaded a bunch before checking OAL. I didn't have a lot of time to develop a load and I didn't have any feeding problems so I left it as it was.

I'm also shooting a kimber 5 inch. It has a little over 10K through it so the barrel should still be good. I just kept bumping it till I got to major. Once I get through these bullets I'll probably switch to 230gr. I've got a s-load of clays and only 500 bullets left otherwise I'd probably switch powders.

The round felt OK, but was a little snappy compared to 230's.

When I shot Clays, I used electroplated West Coast 200s; either SWCs or 200 RNs; the OALs were:

SWC: 1.245"

RNs: 1.260"

I recall getting away with 4.5 grn for the SWCs but I had to bump the RN charge to 4.6 grns to make 165+. Gun was STI Edge 5.0

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

Hey, don't feel too bad. It's not the first chrono to get a bullet in the forehead. :wacko:

I haven't played much with Clays. Looking back at my records, I tried it back in 2000 with a 200 gr. Berry's plated RN. I was only using 3.7 gr., which gave 693 fps, or 139 PF. I think that was a "starting load" and I never worked up from there.

But that goes along with what some of the others have said about needing around 4.5 gr. or so to make major.

Good luck.

Just had this load checked at the KY State match and it made 170 + for power factor.

4.4 grains of Clays

Precision 185 grain SWC

Winchester Large Pistol Primers

Federal once fired brass

OAL 1.245

Velocity was in the 925 fps

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...