Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brian's Book Practical Shooting - Comment

sigwolf

I ordered Brian's Book on Practical shooting a while ago because I was looking for help and instruction and couldn't find any anywhere.

I recently cracked the cover and read the first chapters about attitude and the "zen of shooting". All I can say is "WOW!", did that ever make a difference.

I've been doing Chinese martial arts for nearly ten years and have been sitting zazen for a good bit of that time as well as other moving meditative practises. So, when I read the chapter I had some idea what he was meaning to convey I just had not applied it to my shooting.

The advice about simply observing has had a more significant impact on my shooting than anything else I've ever been told or read.

Thanks Brian!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

It is when the 'Self' merges with the 'Other' that trues 'Experience' occurs. This is the moment when one transcends one's self and becomes One with REALITY. One becomes the Gun and even the Bullet.It may even enter the modality where one becomes the target too. Just food for thought or Non-Thought in Buddhist terms.

Norman

• 2 months later...

One of the neatest and most valuable things about Brian's books are that they seem to grow. More appropriate they grow on you, or you grow into them.

I have read his work in entirety, then I have re-read some parts many many times. It seems that each time I read a passage I get something else out of it. Almost as if the words had changed since the last reading.

In fact the words do change, as they take on a more clear picture, somehow getting more descriptive the more you understand. I found that in some areas during the first reading I got nothing out of it, as it was way over my head. After learning more about myself and about shooting, then in reading the same passage things became understandable. Read it again and more is revealed.....and so on.

Learning to shoot is much like learning any skill, in that learning is not linear. If you read Brian and apply his techniques you will improve. Maybe not overnight, but when the improvements "kick in" they will be noticeable. It is like a key that opens a door to more stuff, then that leads to more stuff.

Brian in his writing takes the mental aspect of shooting to levels not likely discussed by others before him. Fifty years, 100 years from now people reading Brian's writing on shooting will still be amazed at his insight into a sport that most people think is mostly physical.