Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reversing the mag release

01Deuce

I have a Stock III and a limited. Being a south paw I usually just leave the mag release alone since not all platforms have a reversible mag release as an option. Recently I decided to reverse both of mine only because I did on my SP01's and figured I would make these match. 

Has anyone reversed there's and then had an issue when inserting empty magazines? Both of mine now have issues and that's the only thing they have in common that has been changed. 

When inserting a empty mag now, unless I put pressure on the slide release (keeping it pushed in) or pushing in the mag release while inserting, it will slightly push the slide release out causing the follower on the mag to slip to the side of the catch on the slide release as opposed to it staying on top of the follower. This also causes the trigger to bind. It's fine with a loaded mag and if I just put  a finger on the slide release while inserting an empty. 

Is this a side effect of reversing the mag release or is something else going on?  

I switched these a couple weeks ago , but just noticed it today after cleaning and trying to insert an empty mag. After I switched these I think I just inserted a full mag and never thought to try with an empty. 

I changed mag button to left hand on 3 small frames: Stock II, 2x Stock III and one large frame Limited Custom. No issues like you described, just checked Limited with an empty mag. I would investigate slide release spring - why it's not holding it in place.

But, later, I encountered different problem - mags started to fall out while shooting. It's a design flaw across, I suppose, many if not all Tanfoglio pistols. The mag catch notch is not protruding enough into the well to secure the mag when reversed. I fixed it by removing a bit of metal from the button(s).

On my stock III it can be inserted 2 or 3 times before it does it , but every time with the limited. When the slide release goes on the side of the follower instead of the top and then more force is used to seat the magazine. It then pushes the magazine up against the trigger bar on the opposite side and slightly pushes outward on the slide release. These are both 10mm's and maybe the follower design is slightly less forgiving on these possibly. 

I think since the mag catch is on the opposite side it is moving the magazine just enough to not catch on top of the follower. If the mag release is held in and then released after seating the magazine it's ok.