Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Square deal problem

Brand new square deal. Primers are not feeding on to the anvil. If I push down on the guide rod I can feel the primers move as if they are jammed in the tube. Is there a step in the set up process I missed? I have many many hours on a 550 but this is my first square deal. I am planning on calling Dillon in the morning but hoped someone could help me tonight. 

Check the blue plastic tip (assuming your are using small pistol primers) is it deformed or bent in any way? The spine of the blue tip should be parallel to the tube. Are the lips on the tip bent?

SDB has primers issues with so many diff resolutions.

I'd guess that the knurled "nut" on top of the primer magazine tube is too tight.

When it is over tightened it deforms the plastic tip on the magazine tube causing the primers to stop feeding.

Loosen the nut and then turn it down until it just stops turning. You don't want any pressure on it. 

It will loosen up with use, so you either need to check it now and then or put a piece of tape on it so it can't loosen up.

You may need to replace the plastic tip on the magazine tube if it still does not feed.

Yea, I'd bet the knurled nut is too tight also. You want it flush, but not tight. I tape mine to the magazine tube so it won't work loose. The other thing could be the primer seating anvil is incorrect, but not likely because it's factory adjusted. 

image37469.jpg

image37468.jpg

Edited by 9x45

On 11/9/2016 at 8:46 AM, 9x45 said:

Yea, I'd bet the knurled nut is too tight also. You want it flush, but not tight. I tape mine to the magazine tube so it won't work loose. The other thing could be the primer seating anvil is incorrect, but not likely because it's factory adjusted. 

image37469.jpg

image37468.jpg

TDA and 9x45 got it right.

Looks like this was the problem. I threaded the nut down too tight and jammed the plastic tip down into something. Fortunately it didn't damage the tip. 

Thanks for all the help everybody. 

Edited by Swanny10

Ok, the next hot tip is, and NOT recommended by Dillon, is to use the brass tipped 650 tube. I had to change the little plastic things every few months, until my buddy gave me a small tube 650. No issues in over 10 years. And I put one in my 550 also.  Works for me