Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone separate expanding/belling and the powder drop?

Going back to the original question, I bell at station #2 and charge at station #3.  There is one reason I know of that someone might do this:

You have a specific preference for a specific bell, flare, expanding die.  You might think that that would be an odd die for someone to have a particularly strong preference for, but the Lyman M-Die and Redding expander die (copy of the M-Die) don't bell like normal belling dies; there's a plug that expands the case walls down into the case instead of just belling the mouth  -- it's great for lead and coated lead -- and since I want to use that type of expander, I have no choice but to use that die at station #2 and charge at station #3.

Also, in my case, not only do I use a Redding expander, I also use a Hornady powder drop on my 650, so I'm not losing any functionality by moving the drop away from its standard 650 position.

• 1 year later...

Im looking for a slight variation of this original topic. Im looking to bell from the original die but without the powder charge or needing to empty and clean the hopper each time. 

When adjusting new seating depths I want to be able to run cases fully through the press from start to finish (full shell plate) without inserting a new primer and powder charge. I have a switch to shut off the primers and a quick disconnect to pull the hopper. However then nothing holds the belling piece in the die. 

Any ideas on a substitute piece (other than an additional hopper)?

Edited by PhillySoldier