Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti edge, mags not dropping free

Minicz

I just replaced the grip on my 9mm edge with another plastic grip. The fit on the new grip was fine, installation went smoothly but now my mags won't drop free. I'm not really sure what could cause this other than the whole grip is out of whack? Thoughts?

I had the same problem. Mine had a high spot inside where the mainspring housing meets the grip.

Take the slide off. Insert a mag and shine a flashlight from the bottom while looking around the front, back and sides of the mag. Wiggle the mag slightly. If there is a spot where the mag remains in constant contact with the inside of the grip lightly file/sand that spot down until the mag drops free. File a little then check. Repeat as necessary. It probably won't take much.

I had a similar issue with factory STI mags in my Eagle. I took off the top end, inserted a mag, then pressed the mag release in and out.  The mag would move left and right corresponding with the mag button.  I mic'd the mag dimensions front to back just above the mag catch, and it was much thicker than my other mags.  A little torgue in the vise with soft jaws and everything's back to how it should be.

Your new grip may be slightly smaller in that dimension too, as I know the same mag would drop free from my buddy's 2011 grips before the modification.

Edited by resortboarder
Clarification back to original question