Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timer Question -- Will Pick Up Other Shots?

boo radley

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that $130, or so, for a timer is money well spent, if I'm going to practice and improve in any kind of disciplined fashion. Thinking about the PACT ClubIII, since I can easily rent a chronograph at my range for the few times I'd use it.

My concern is that I mostly shoot in an indoor range, and while it's very seldom crowded (perhaps one or two other shooters in my immediate vicinity), I worry abotu the timer picking up their shots, as well. Are these things fairly selective? Can I crank the sensitivity down, so that it will just pick up my shots, and ignore someone 20' away (although they might be shooting a centerfire rifle)? I think I'm asking for too much....

Thx

The short answer is: maybe.

I haven't ever actually ever tried to do that in an indoor setting. I would suggest trying the CED 8000. The sensitivity is adjustable from a menu setting giving you easy repeatability. This would be important if you shoot both indoors and outdoors. You can easily flip back and forth.

The CED 8000 also has some "anti-echo" features where it can be set to ignore "shots" that occur to close to together. This can be adjusted. From what I have seen with limited indoor range use is that this is very effective in eliminating echos.

The big trouble is going to be the centerfire rifle down the line a piece. The good news is that they probably are going to be engaged in slow fire so their infrequent shots might spoil a string or two but not every string. It is also relatively easy to review the shots in the string and figure out which one came from Mr. Centerfire. Unless that was the last shot it won't affect your overall time, just add an extra shot to the string.

The CED 8000 is in the $150 range.

I have used the Pact timers and I like them better than the CED 6000 I had first but I like the CED 8000 better than any other timer I have mucked about with.

No affiliation with CED blah blah blah. Just a satisfied customer.

There are several threads here on the various timers so if you haven't researched these threads I would do so. There was also a Timer Roundup article in Front Sight a year or so ago with a follow-up about the CED 8000 last Fall.

Good luck!

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that $130, or so, for a timer is money well spent, if I'm going to practice and improve in any kind of disciplined fashion. Thinking about the PACT ClubIII, since I can easily rent a chronograph at my range for the few times I'd use it.

My concern is that I mostly shoot in an indoor range, and while it's very seldom crowded (perhaps one or two other shooters in my immediate vicinity), I worry abotu the timer picking up their shots, as well.  Are these things fairly selective? Can I crank the sensitivity down, so that it will just pick up my shots, and ignore someone 20' away (although they might be shooting a centerfire rifle)?  I think I'm asking for too much....

Thx

I've used a couple of different PACT models indoors, and found that if I put a piece of electrical tape over the microphone pick-up, it could be made to limit it's sensitivity. Add another layer of tape for more attenuation.

Even with no other shooters, I've seen problems with the timer hearing the echo of my shots off the far wall and sides of the range. The tape helps.