Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 not indexing

I didn't do the fix yet, but I checked it this morning to confirm I have the same issue as the thread I found.

The index arm is not centered in the index hole and us why the paw is not grabbing the shell plate.

In these pictures you can see the arm is tight up against the bolt, but if I touch it it has a gap.  When I apply pressure to it, it aligns in the hole correctly.

D068B488-C1EE-4034-BBF9-E6E9B2391708_zps95C0F9E1-5410-4B04-B57B-8A3D0B083125_zps

Oh, man. That can't be good.

Maybe try a washer under that bolt? looks like the hole for that bolt wasn't drilled/tapped far enough.

I've had a few intermittent shellplate advance problems with my new 1050, too. Has me wondering if mine is like yours.

How old is your machine?

3 minutes ago, Phlier said:

Oh, man. That can't be good.

Maybe try a washer under that bolt? looks like the hole for that bolt wasn't drilled/tapped far enough.

I've had a few intermittent shellplate advance problems with my new 1050, too. Has me wondering if mine is like yours.

How old is your machine?

About 6 months.

If I tighten my shellplate down tight enough that I don't have powder jumping out of cases, I have the same failure to index problem... exactly the same. The pawl doesn't come upward to engage the shellplate. Guess I'll check my machine for the same issue.

Bit off topic, but I gotta say... my new 1050 has been so fiddly, that I'm about to throw everything back in a box and exercise the 30 day guarantee. Try out a 650 instead.  

Every time I think I have it adjusted, and am able to get through a successful 100 rounds, something else pops up that requires 15-20 minutes of tinkering to get right. Load another 100 rounds and the cycle repeats.

Edited by Phlier

41 minutes ago, Phlier said:

If I tighten my shellplate down tight enough that I don't have powder jumping out of cases, I have the same failure to index problem... exactly the same. The pawl doesn't come upward to engage the shellplate. Guess I'll check my machine for the same issue.

Bit off topic, but I gotta say... my new 1050 has been so fiddly, that I'm about to throw everything back in a box and exercise the 30 day guarantee. Try out a 650 instead.  

Every time I think I have it adjusted, and am able to get through a successful 100 rounds, something else pops up that requires 15-20 minutes of tinkering to get right. Load another 100 rounds and the cycle repeats.

I agree, it seems as soon as I getting it running with no issues something else comes up a few thousand rounds later.

its a great setup when it's running right, but the down time and constant adjustments are killing me.

I was thinking of picking a second one up but need this one to run with no issues first.

i

14 minutes ago, Weber said:

I agree, it seems as soon as I getting it running with no issues something else comes up a few thousand rounds later.

its a great setup when it's running right, but the down time and constant adjustments are killing me.

I was thinking of picking a second one up but need this one to run with no issues first.

i

Yup, and God forbid you change calibers. Ugh.

So I tried the fix the other thread mentioned using a fiber washer to take up the slack.  It took up the slack but created to much friction for the spring to overcome.

So I took the pawl to the grinder and put a slight edge on it to make it slip into the index hole easier.

I have done about 4K of rounds with the shell plate tight like it should be without a single issue and no case mouths hitting in the Swage station.

On 9/18/2016 at 1:15 PM, Weber said:

So I tried the fix the other thread mentioned using a fiber washer to take up the slack.  It took up the slack but created to much friction for the spring to overcome.

So I took the pawl to the grinder and put a slight edge on it to make it slip into the index hole easier.

I have done about 4K of rounds with the shell plate tight like it should be without a single issue and no case mouths hitting in the Swage station.

I checked my 1050 for this issue yesterday and I have it, too. On my press, it's an intermittent problem; sometimes it indexes with a snug plate, other times it won't.

I don't have a grinder, darn it. There is a guy who makes an upgraded index pawl for the 1050. Think I'll try one and see if it helps. 

7 hours ago, Phlier said:

I checked my 1050 for this issue yesterday and I have it, too. On my press, it's an intermittent problem; sometimes it indexes with a snug plate, other times it won't.

I don't have a grinder, darn it. There is a guy who makes an upgraded index pawl for the 1050. Think I'll try one and see if it helps. 

Mine is still working good, did another 5k of blackout with no issues.

If I have another issue I will upgrade the pawl as well.

• 4 months later...
On 9/16/2016 at 9:19 AM, lefty o said:

yes you can adjust it. pull the brass button from the 11 o clock position, look behind/under it on the press frame, there is a slot machined there. inside is a set screw that adjusts shell plate travel. back it off a few turns then work it back in until the shell plate indexes properly.

I am having a similar problem I believe. Mine indexes fully sometimes but intermittently will not fully index and the rod that goes through the shell plate forces it into the position flinging powder sometimes. I am going to look for what is described above to see if that works. I can loosen the shell plate and it indexes fully then but that defeats the purpose of buying an FFB shellplate IMO.

On 9/16/2016 at 9:19 AM, lefty o said:

yes you can adjust it. pull the brass button from the 11 o clock position, look behind/under it on the press frame, there is a slot machined there. inside is a set screw that adjusts shell plate travel. back it off a few turns then work it back in until the shell plate indexes properly.

Finding your post on this was as good as finding gold. This fixed all the issues I was having. Im still confused as to why I couldnt find this magical screw on Dillons website concerning indexing on a 1050. Even in this post it wasnt mentioned before you. Anyways adjusting this screw solved all my problems. two thumbs up.