Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SPR Barrel Advice

MikeP6363

I have been working on a SPR style build and have yet to come to a decision about a barrel. I am trying to decide on brand, chambering (5.56 or .223 wylde) and twist rate.I Pretty much know that i want it to be 18" long, have a rifle length gas system and be of an "SPR" profile. What would you guys go with. Thanks in advance.

To me it's a no brainer. 1:7 Wylde. 1:7 because if you are going to be reaching out there you will want a heavier bullet. Wylde because, you know, the serious long range shooters use it. Mine is a White Oak. Couldn't be happier with it. 

the fluted one is s bit lighter and has a "tacticool" factor to it. but your also paying for it.  u then covering up fluting with hand guard ??  unsure if flutes will change the harmonics in adverse way? (but im sure you could tune a load to it)  technically more surface area so barrel will dissipate heat faster....

the standard spr profile non fluted is tried and true,   and i like the extra weight  as a more stable shooting platform especially when you "reach out", (not so much if you have to hump it 5 miles......)   from a shooting perspective and experience with precision bolt gun I prefer a bit heavier.

FWIW the WOA 18" rifle gas barrel is in stock at Brownell's.

A lot of NM shooters still use 1:8 as well, as RRA and other brands use that in their stainless barrels. You can still shoot 80gr SMKs with that twist, just not 80gr AMAX and ~80gr Bergers.

For fluted or not, I think it depends what your use would be (and budget since the 20" fluted is $100 more). The weight is comparable between an 18" unfluted and the 20" fluted SDM barrel. For LR shooting, I personally feel that .223 isn't that great so any extra velocity would be helpful to counter drift. Extra energy might also help a little bit more on steel targets or for spotting splash. Either way, WOA makes great barrels. We've had a handful of WOA barrels now and here's a group from our latest 20" service rifle barrel. It was the second 5-shot group we shot to get the rifle zeroed with a suppressor. No specific load development, just a load that works with other ARs we have.

WOA%2020%2024.4%20Varget%2075%20Hornady.

We've used it to get hits on a 2/3 IPSC at 1000 yards here in Nevada. Holds elevation pretty decently to that distance with 75gr Hornady BTHP handloads.

Edited by californiasushi

50 minutes ago, taco2000 said:

Thanks, biglou13!

Another question, how white oak barrel compare with rainier arms ultra match barrel?

Never shot it or known anyone that has ....  But they offer a no questions asked 90 day warranty.   Which is huge!!!    Break it in do some OCW.    Find a load .    If it doesnt't hold .5 MOA.  Send it back.   Inside of 90 days.    Any other barrel that is truly match is way more dollars.....  

But it see above California sushi post. .47 MOA on load not tuned for barrel.   

I was getting sub .5 MOA on WOA.   i was hoping to fine tune load but ran out of re15 and is hard to get local and switched to xbr but haven't tested xbr loads yet. 

I also feel like the WOA SPR barrel needed longer break in time.   ( shoot a few clean repeat) prolly took over 200 rounds until it settled in.   

2 hours ago, biglou13 said:

Never shot it or known anyone that has ....  But they offer a no questions asked 90 day warranty.   Which is huge!!!    Break it in do some OCW.    Find a load .    If it doesnt't hold .5 MOA.  Send it back.   Inside of 90 days.    Any other barrel that is truly match is way more dollars.....  

But it see above California sushi post. .47 MOA on load not tuned for barrel.   

I was getting sub .5 MOA on WOA.   i was hoping to fine tune load but ran out of re15 and is hard to get local and switched to xbr but haven't tested xbr loads yet. 

I also feel like the WOA SPR barrel needed longer break in time.   ( shoot a few clean repeat) prolly took over 200 rounds until it settled in.   

That's nice, i will give a shot for WOA barrel