Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First batch of 50 rounds completed on my new to me 550b, and having pr

kro, there is nothing wrong with a 550. I've had mine since the around 86, just about when they first came out. Using standard Dillon dies, it's never caused an issue with either 9mm, or 223REM. Now for the 357SIG I do use the floating Lee crimp die. I think you just didn't have the resize/deprime die all the way down to the shell plate. I got the Square Deal as match product in 2001. I don't use case lube at all, rather just tumble the brass in walnut loaded with mineral oil (to clean) and then with corn loaded with NuFinish to polish. Comes out slippery and shiny.

image37491.jpg

from nasty range brass to happy into shined ready to load brass

image36417.jpg

Edited by 9x45

The major difference between the Dillon Dies and the others mentioned is that the Dillon's have a bigger flare on the bottom so case alignment doesn't have to be quite as exact as the others.  But, that lets the others size further down on the cartridge case, which is certainly desirable.

I am only really intersted in loading four calibers.

38 spc

9mm and 

Right now i am rocking on the 38spc and 9mm, and know can make 357 work.  I have not tried 223, how difficult is that on the 550b.

Adam

For 223 you will need to change to the large powder bar, but everything else is the same, at least for once fired brass ( which is all I ever use because I have an unlimited supply of the stuff).  The only extra step I take is to use dry lube on the brass before loading because you don't have to remove it.. If you run your brass more than a few times, you have to lube, resize, get the lube off and trim. I use Win 748, but there are a ton of powders out there depending on what bullet weight you choose.

miller-stephenson-ms122xd-ptfe-dry-lubri

Edited by 9x45