Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X-Treme 45 bullets in 45 Super

Religious Shooter

All of the plated bullet mfg. recommend keeping the velocity's under 1900fps. so I would think you would be OK in 45super with them. I'm currently loading Kings coated 9mm, 40S&W major, and 45ACP with excellent results. I have also used plenty of the x-treeme bullets along with some of the Berry's with no problems. So, order some samples and work up some loads. I think you may be surprised how well these less expensive bullets perform. Accurate with no leading. At least in my and my friends guns.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm just breaking into the 45 Super area. So plated lead is OK? I just ordered some Sierra 185 gr FPJ's. If I can tune/practice with cheaper plated bullets rather than expensive jacketed bullets, that would be extremely helpful to my wallet.

I'll be using them in a double stack long slide that has the barrel/slide ported. The loads I'm looking at would be at/about 1350 fps out of the 6" barrel...

So no issues with plated bullets in this scenario?

Games? I shoot them armor plated silhouettes of evil doers...real hard....but they deserve it.

I bought some Berry 200 gr HP's. They look like a typical copper plated truncated cone but with a hole in them....and they were cheap! I paid something like 50 bucks for 500 of them. I can't hardly cast them for that. I think I can blow a magazine load of 15 of them down the 6" ported tube at 1,300 fps or so. I'm not sure the hollow point is of any value at all but it looks cool. I'm hoping they feed well. They should, the HP doesn't seem to have any real effect on the profile and the gun is has so far not to be the least bit picky. 

I love this gun...Maybe the longer sight radius lets me put the Caspian adjustable ghost ring rear sight right around the front sight. It seems to just jump right on the EGW fiber optic front sight.