Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Grip Removal

Bear23

OK,

I'm putting a new trigger in my STI Edge.

2 problems.

How do I remove the grip from the frame?????

The little allen screws in the trigger guard are just not coming out, they appear to be a little stripped and won't accept the 'correct' size Allen wrench. Any suggestions??

You have to use 2 wrenches, one on each side to get it out. If you have already tried that then you can take a larger head and get it to fit. Any type of head that will grab it will work if its stripped. If none of those work you can drill it out but you will have to order new screws and bushing.

Flyin40

The SMALL front grip screws are independant and theaded into a bushing (1/16" I think, allen screws).

Place one allen wrench in each screw and unscrew ( they are NOT reverse thread)them until one is removed then push the bushing AND the remaining screw (one will allways remain in the bushing) from the frame.

Remove the small front grip screws first. THEN remove the larger grip screws (only the TOP on the grip, the bottom scres are decrotive only). Once the large grip scres are removed it will be necessary to drive the bushings from the large grip screws from the frame (be carefull not to damage the threads in the large grip screw bushings when driving them from the frame)

IF the small grip screws are stripped for the allen head recess order a NEW set of grip screws before you attempt this:

Drill out one side of the small grip screw head and push it out. When fitting the new screws to the frame it may be necesssary to trim (shorten) the small grip screw bushing length.

On instalation of new SMALL grip screws only, I use (Blue) loctite on them, I have had them losen and fall out (only so much torque can be applied on instalation before stripping the head)

Got everything off last night. No problems. The little screws up front are stripped, They apparently came that way from Dawson. I hadn't noticed till now. I used some Torx screwdrivers to get them out.

Put the new trigger in, it will need some adjustment. It slides easily back and forwards after a little tweaking and doesn't hit the mags when inserted.

But....The hammer will follow the slide forward on occasion and the grip safety is now not working......

I take it the rear portion of the trigger bow will need a little work???