Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Longshot Question

Racinready300ex

I've been running longshot in my 38 super for open. That is what the guy I bought the gun from used so I just went with that. Shot the VA/MD section last month choro came out at 175 PF right where I expected. In the last few weeks the weather has finally started to get hotter and I chrono'd again the other day to make sure everything was good and I was down around 160-165 PF with the same load. So in the last couple days I put together a load with a different powder for a upcoming major.

Anyway, my question. I've still got probably 1k rounds of this longshot load that wont make PF in the hot weather. Reading up a little on longshot sounds like a velocity drop is a sign of getting into pressure problems. Do you think it should be okay to shoot all these in practice? Or should they be pulled and reloaded? Saving them for cooler weather probably isn't a option. I didn't notice any signs of to much pressure looking at my brass, but I'll have a closer look when I get home.

Thoughts.

Keep the ammo in the shade when not in your mags. Also can use a cooler or something of the sort. You can also test the load yourself. Chrono the same batch but from an ice chest, your hot dashboard, and your bag in the shade. This will let you know how your ammo will react to the weather.