Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy In A Glock 35

bjet

I finally got a .40 conversion for my XL650 and got it all setup. Rushed out a couple hundred for practice and league. Thought I had really regressed in my shooting or something. Finally went to check the sights yesterday and at 7 yards from a rest I was getting about an 8" group. I also had been noticing some keyholing.

Measured and here is my load

4.9 of TiteGroup

1.117" OAL

Small Pistol Primer

165g rnfmj

Searched here and saw that OAL was low. Tried another 50

1.127"

SPP

165g rnfmj

Just tried that and it appeared to go to a 6" group. Still keyholing, but less.

I am hesitant to increase the OAL anymore as it is a stock Glock. Is it possible I need to increase or decrease the velocity? Try a different bullet?

This bullet works fine in my Model 20.

Thanks.

bjet

I shoot 3.5gr of TG, 180gr JHP, WSP, 1.27-1.130 OAL. At 12 yards, I can easily do a 2" group from a rest on with a KKM barrel. Stock barrel is a little less accurate due to the first shot flyer but still get around 3".

Stock G35 barrels are easily capable of 2.5" inch groups or better at 25yds. with most american brands of factory ammo.

My opinion glock 40 cal. barrels like 180gr slugs better than 165gr ones.

Try moving the OAL out to 1.135 and make sure your not overdoing your crimp.

Okay, forgive me for not stating the obvious. I know a Glock is capable of better. With generic off the shelf ammo I can handhold about 3" groups at 7 yards or twice as good as my handload from a rest. Kinda why I asked. ;-P

My crimp is .421". I see the spec is .423" but is that really a problem?

I'll look at that 1.135"OAL and then may try the 180g.

bjet

I shoot 180g and 200g pushed by 3.1-3.2g TiteGroup and get 2.5" or less groups off-hand out of a g35 with stock barrel at 15yds. That gives me a soft shooting load while still making pf with lots to spare 135-140pf if memory serves me correctly and pf for IDPA SSP is 125. Oh and I am not sure of the crimp... it is there but not sure how much - enough that the bullet does not fall out!

4.2 of TG with 180 TMC Zero at 1.12" will do 3" easy at 25 with factory barrel. I have not found any really accurate load out of my G35. I had a much easier time finding accurate loads for my P16. TXAG

Just as an addendum I grabbed some 180 grain fmj. According to Hogsdon the min is 4.2 and the max 4.7 so started at 4.3 with an OAL of 1.13"

Did 30 and at 7 yards off a rest 9 out of 10 were about 1" group. Felt a little hot so came back and changed it to 4.1 grains of TG. About the same if not a little tighter. So just as another data point:

180 grain

4.1 TG

1.13" OAL

.422" crimp

Thanks for the help.

bjet

Maybe the gun is new to you or group shooting is new to you?

At seven yards your Glock can shoot groups of about 1/4" or smaller.

Try putting an orange sticker in the middle of a white paper plate, run it out to 15 yards, and post your results. Remember that sight alignment is much more important than where the sights appear on the target.

If I'm speaking out of line feel free to smack me...

Maybe the gun is new to you or group shooting is new to you?

At seven yards your Glock can shoot groups of about 1/4" or smaller.

Try putting an orange sticker in the middle of a white paper plate, run it out to 15 yards, and post your results. Remember that sight alignment is much more important than where the sights appear on the target.

If I'm speaking out of line feel free to smack me...

post-4066-1115661941_thumb.jpg

The Glock barrel will shoot accurately with the right ammo. Mine prefers 180's. The biggest problem with me and my Glock is controlling the trigger. Sand bag it and really concentrate on sight alignment as you squeeze. TXAG