Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Issues when switching from plated to lead.

B_RAD

My mistake for not asking earlier. I just realized that you must be using a flat anvil in your seating die, and that's why your OALs are coming out as consistent as they are. Keep in mind that most variation in bullet length is going to occur at the nose, so if your'e using a flat anvil and getting consistent OAL, you're inconsistency is going to be at the shoulders and how deep the bullet base is seated into the cartridge. Again, it only matters at the ragged edge of limitations, but if you're at the ragged edge of the shoulders engaging the rifling, that variation in shoulder height from one round to the next could be exactly the problem. And if you're at the ragged edge of the bullet base bowing out the case, that could be exactly your problem. If you use the hollow anvil that seats off the ogive, the shoulder height and seating depth both should get more consistent while the OAL gets less consistent.

Let us know how shortening the OAL to 1.15 works. Good luck. ;)

Were those problem cases previously fired in your pistol or range pickups? If not fired in your pistol it could have been from a loose chamber or 9major and the head area is expanded. Some dies can't size that area or if the die is not set properly. You could measure the area just forward of the rim or groove so see if it is with spec...

Do the plunk test with those that will not fit after you've marked them with a magic marker as noylj described. That will tell you exactly where the problem lies.

The method and results are described here: http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloading/reloading-tips-the-plunk-test/

Different brands of brass differ in where they start to thicken, and can cause excess bulging at the base of the bullet that will not fit in some barrels.

Thanks for the link!

Got another question. For the Dillon seating die, and flat point bullets, do I use the rounded end of the wadcutter end of the seating insert?

Were those problem cases previously fired in your pistol or range pickups? If not fired in your pistol it could have been from a loose chamber or 9major and the head area is expanded. Some dies can't size that area or if the die is not set properly. You could measure the area just forward of the rim or groove so see if it is with spec...

My brass is pick up brass I bought off GB.

My mistake for not asking earlier. I just realized that you must be using a flat anvil in your seating die, and that's why your OALs are coming out as consistent as they are. Keep in mind that most variation in bullet length is going to occur at the nose, so if your'e using a flat anvil and getting consistent OAL, you're inconsistency is going to be at the shoulders and how deep the bullet base is seated into the cartridge. Again, it only matters at the ragged edge of limitations, but if you're at the ragged edge of the shoulders engaging the rifling, that variation in shoulder height from one round to the next could be exactly the problem. And if you're at the ragged edge of the bullet base bowing out the case, that could be exactly your problem. If you use the hollow anvil that seats off the ogive, the shoulder height and seating depth both should get more consistent while the OAL gets less consistent.

Let us know how shortening the OAL to 1.15 works. Good luck. ;)

Gonna flip the insert around to the hollow end and shorten the OAL to 1.115"

I think his will help.

I reload using once-fired, range pickup brass for my 9mm Glocks. All the rounds I've reloaded using Tula and PPU brass have failed my case gauge and plunk test with my barrels. On the worst of these rounds, I could clearly see that the bottom of the case was bulged out, even after resizing with a full length resizing die. I've only used coated lead rounds (6000 or so) and have not had a problem with them.

Haven't had problems with Perfecta brass. I primarily use WIN, FC, Blazer, and RP brass because that's what I have the most of on hand. Based on recommendations on this forum, I avoid the problematic headstamps that most people point out (IMT, Ammoland, etc.).

Stick with the flat seating stem for flat point bullets. I think you correctly diagnosed the problem as the brass.