Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR receiver "Miked out straight"?

kamikaze1a

Read a column in a recent mag where the columnist was building a new AR. He mentioned that the receiver "miked out straight" so continued the build. It seems that he was checking to see if that receiver would be a straight shooter. Searched for checking or measuring the AR receiver but got no useful hits.

Anyone know what part or where he measured on the receiver? Was he measuring where the barrel extension seats?

Well, if the face of the receiver is off (as many are) that can typically be corrected.

There are tools that face the receiver flat relative to the bore the bolt carrier rides or it can be done in a lathe.

If the receiver face where the barrel extension seats is not perpendicular to the bore of the bolt carrier group the bolt can favor particular lugs in lock up, which is not ideal.

I had an AR that was way out and still grouped well, but I tore it down, faced the receiver, and reassembled. Shoots the same but I expect to get a lot more life out of the bolt than I would have otherwise.

I do have that receiver/barrel lapping tool but I was wondering if there was another area that needs to be spec'd.

Building a hunting AR, what would most say is the most or another critical assembly point? Barrel extension to receiver fit?

Thanks!

Edited by kamikaze1a

AR's are just like any other gun. Accuracy and reliability will be based on the quality of the pieces and how well they fit together. Extremely accurate AR's are just as demanding during the build as a pistol or bolt rifle. The fact that the average guy (or gal) can throw one together doesn't change the fact talent and hard work are rewarded by accuracy.