Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Help Please

2ndSupporter

@TacticalReload

I never realized it till I diagnosis the problem. With one chambered and 10 in the mag put it in with force and you won't see it but will kinda feel something going on in the top end. It's going out than back in just a tad, enough so that if it hangs up on the way back in you'll get either a high light strike or no strike at all. These are my findings anyway.

From what I found in research the 10 and 19s use the same spring. I'd imagine the 19s have less pressure due to almost double the room in the mag.

Cutting out 2 coils seems to have done the trick for me. Will know for absolute certainly tomm night and have a match Saturday which will really work it out.

Edited by 2ndSupporter

I am happy to report this sage is over with good results.

Two coils off the mag spring a slight trim of the follower at the rear and no matter how hard you seat the mag the gun will not come out of battery.

I figure the top round hitting the bottom of the slide and causing friction after doing so is what was knocking it out of battery.

Why Smith would use the same spring in a 10 as a 17 makes little sense but life is good again.

The 10 round mags come with the same spring as the 17 rounders. The spring is really compressed with ten rounds. Do a search on the 10 round mod. You must also trim the follower a bit. My 10's run great after the mod. Before, I could barely fit 10 and there was no give when inserting. Sorry I couldn't post earlier. Good luck.

So if the mag body is shorter in the 10 rounder and longer in the 17 rounder, and we are talking about spring pressure when fully loaded, why would the spring be any more compressed in the 10 rounder with 10 rounds in the mag than in the 17 rounder with 17 rounds in the mag? I would figure that round #1 in the 10 rounder would be like #8 in the 17 rounder... and so on.

I understand that since it's in S&W's best interest to NOT allow 11 into the 10 rounder, with no such fear in the 17 rounder, it might be a slightly tighter fit when fully loaded; but I can't imagine that it's all that substantial. It's not like I can almost get 18 into the 17 rounder or anything.