Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Camming the weak hand

Well, many rounds later, I've got the recoil problem pretty much licked.

I'm not sure, but I believe that it was my body posture and weight distribution.

It really showed up when dealing with a gun that has recoil.

Now, I'm sort of leaning into my shooting with my whole body and it feels stronger.

As result, I'm riding out the recoil without my grip coming loose.

Also, I imagine that the sheer practice on the pistol was good for me.

Thanks everyone, for the advice.

I'm not sure, but I believe that it was my body posture and weight distribution.

It really showed up when dealing with a gun that has recoil.

Now, I'm sort of leaning into my shooting with my whole body and it feels stronger.

As result, I'm riding out the recoil without my grip coming loose.

Forward pressure.., its a good thing.

Have to agree FULLY with EricW, as unpopular as his views maybe...shooters misunderstand the 'cant' thing.. they try to make the 'cant' happen..rather than getting the correct grip.. the 'cant' will then be there!! as well as other things.. also the 60/40 grip theory is not universal so you have to experiment to see what works for you.. the only guess I would warrant is that the 'strong' hand must never be gripping harder than the 'weak' hand, worst case is that it is gripping the same..

go back carefuly over Eric's post on this..it has many 'learnings'.

oh, another thing.. to get the feel for forward pressure, in a standing position make 2 fists and lean into a wall.. almost as if doing a standing pushup.. step back ..that is the posture/feel you're striving for... this is demonstrated in one of Ron Avery's tape a lot better than my 2 sentences have done.. in fact one of the best exercises you can do as a shooter are pushups...

BTW, you are in luck as Ron's tapes are available right here on Brian's website..!!!