Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pre built vs. custom built

Lhelliott

Custom guns will likely come with 'better' internal parts, better fit, and have all the features you personally want. Some things are expensive or impossible to change - like stippling on the front strap, or changing from an LPA to a Bomar sight, etc.

I got a nice stock gun with a lot of 'upgrades' - but still spent a ton of cash personalizing it and/or improving it. A custom gun would probably have been the same or less money and I'd have everything exactly as I want. The flip side is that I spent a little less cash to start, and got to shoot a quality gun while I decided what features I decided I needed to add.

If you have some good shooting experience and know exactly what you want in a gun, get a custom. If you are new, it wouldn't hurt to go custom but you might not know what you want until it's too late.

A quality stock competition gun will keep a lot of its value if you decide to sell it. So will a custom gun from a reputable builder.

I couldnt agree more with this. I bought a STI Edge to try the 2011 platform. Made Master Class with my Edge so it is a fine pistol and i've had 0 issues with it. However I'm now in search of a Custom 2011 and have a Edge for my backup. Starting with a off the shelf semi custom 2011 is the way to go in my opinion because you decide to go custom you already have your backup in the stable!

I have done both, I started with a blued CRP Edge from Dawson. These are just stock guns with some add on parts. My Edge served me well for 2 years with no malfunctions that were not my fault for feeding it crappy ammo (Bulged cases). I finally decided to refinish the gun in hard chrome so I had the slide lightened, trigger job and refinish done. Then I added a steel grip. If you add up the cost it is right at custom gun money. The plus side is I got to experiment and decide what I needed before I had a custom gun built. I was also able to spread the cost out over a period of time. Doing things this way can cost you more in the long run. In my opinion if you don't have a lot of experience with the 2011 ordering a custom first is a gamble, you may be getting what someone else thinks is best but not whats best for you.