Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

School me on mags for Caspian Hi Cap

zzt

I've been toying with the idea of building an Open gun based on the Caspian HiCap frame kit. I haven't decided on 38SC or 40 yet, but that isn't the issue.

The last time I toyed with this idea, everyone warned me off because of the feeding problems with the existing mags. I'm told by several that the new Witness mags modified to fit the HiCap frame now function properly. I'm also told the Mecgar mags can be modified and they work fine also.

What are you HiCap shooters using for mags? What base plates? What capacity? etc.

Thanks in advance

Edited by zzt

Mags are the reason more Caspians are not seen these days. The old style 19 round mags work as do 27 round big sticks made by welding 2 19 round mags if done by a knowledgeable person. The key is to load five rounds or so and look at the bullet stack as it transitions from double stack to single stack. If the top 2 rounds are directly on top of each other the mag should work. If not good luck. You can search this forum for several methods of increasing the indents to bring the rounds into alignment.

The nice thing about the old style mags is they work for .38 Super or 9 major with no changes.

I have a new style big stick that holds 26 rounds that I have modified to work but it amazes me that they are mostly junk even though Caspian sells them. Whoever designed them needs to go back to school.

I also have a 28 round big stick that Higher Capacity sells. It works 100% but uses a Grams spring and follower which at some point will need replacement. The base is welded so that requires sending the mag back for spring replacement.

I don't know about the others you mention. If the rounds line up like I mention and they stack with no gap between the top bullet and the second as seen from the front maybe they would work.

If you go with 38 super/supercomp you can expect to get 28-29 in 170mm mags, and 22-23 in 140mm mags.

Once tuned, the mags work fine and are reliable. Also, Jim Anglin makes an awesome 29 rounder out of two of the old style 19 round mags, and even adds a dawson base pad to it.

Here are some other threads that might answer some of your caspian mag questions.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=164432

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=118831

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=161103

I'd call Gary Smith of Caspian Arms and ask about the status of the new design Mecgar mags they are having made for the wide bodies. They might be available now.