Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I speed-up?

Dump1567

About 3 months ago I started shooting with both eyes open.  Since then, I've slowed down on my longer shots (10 to 20 yrds) and watch to see if I'm getting a hit on the target.  Due to the distance, I can't always see if I hit a target so I take a third or fourth shot at it.  Is it better to just blaze through the course and deal with misses and a faster time, or I'm I doing the right thing now?  I know I should be calling my shots, but I don't think I'm at that level yet.

About 3 months ago I started shooting with both eyes open.  Since then, I've slowed down on my longer shots (10 to 20 yrds) and watch to see if I'm getting a hit on the target.  Due to the distance, I can't always see if I hit a target so I take a third or fourth shot at it.  Is it better to just blaze through the course and deal with misses and a faster time, or I'm I doing the right thing now?  I know I should be calling my shots, but I don't think I'm at that level yet.

Ok where to start. Video 3 is the most telling. You tend to take your time and call shots on targets when you are shooting static, then flail when moving. You also have a tendancy to outrun the gun, very dangerous.

Simple breakdown of video three, after a quick look.

On the start you got your hand on the gun but did not draw it, you then moved your feet to shooting position..then draw the gun. On signal, draw then move, gun should have been up already by the time you got into position.

On the way to the second bank (3 targets in open) you should have reloaded, it was a big move and would have given you lots in the gun to deal with the 3 open targets and the targets through the port. Instead you moved up on the targets too fast and almost broke 90 when you trigger froze as you were already on top of the targets. reload, slow down a bit and shoot the targets, then get to next position. If you have to shoot on the move, slow your feet up and watch the sights, they will tell you if you if you are moving too quick to shoot accuately.

After the trigger freeze you were already on top of the next bank, I assume you had planned to do a reload between the on the move bank and the port, but it was a small move better to do it on the previous run which was longer. This forced you to do a staic reload in an awkward position...slightly bent over...which was blown.

On the next bank...on the move..again you out ran the gun, forcing many make up shots...which were barely completed before you were on top of them. Calling your shots is even more important when moving as the sights dictate the speed of movement.

when you got to the barricade you set up and shot the outside target and worked in. This bound you up on the barricade, it puts you slightly off balance to shift to the other side. Try setting up on the inside target and work out before shifting...easy drill to set up on home range.

On video 4 there is another classic case of outrunning the gun...damn close to a DQ. I think you are trying to hard to mak-up shooting speed with foot speed.

Start working on some shoot on the move drills..Triangle drill listed elsewhere is a really good one. Make sure the targets are placed 10yds away or more. This will give you more confidence on calling your shots on the move and hopefully slow your feet down :)

Work on calling your shots in general, there is not a more important skill you can learn.

Pat  

Ok where to start. Video 3 is the most telling. You tend to take your time and call shots on targets when you are shooting static, then flail when moving. You also have a tendancy to outrun the gun, very dangerous.

On the start you got your hand on the gun but did not draw it, you then moved your feet to shooting position..then draw the gun. On signal, draw then move, gun should have been up already by the time you got into position.

On the way to the second bank (3 targets in open) you should have reloaded, it was a big move and would have given you lots in the gun to deal with the 3 open targets and the targets through the port. Instead you moved up on the targets too fast and almost broke 90 when you trigger froze as you were already on top of the targets. reload, slow down a bit and shoot the targets, then get to next position. If you have to shoot on the move, slow your feet up and watch the sights, they will tell you if you if you are moving too quick to shoot accuately.

After the trigger freeze you were already on top of the next bank, I assume you had planned to do a reload between the on the move bank and the port, but it was a small move better to do it on the previous run which was longer. This forced you to do a staic reload in an awkward position...slightly bent over...which was blown.

On the next bank...on the move..again you out ran the gun, forcing many make up shots...which were barely completed before you were on top of them. Calling your shots is even more important when moving as the sights dictate the speed of movement.

when you got to the barricade you set up and shot the outside target and worked in. This bound you up on the barricade, it puts you slightly off balance to shift to the other side. Try setting up on the inside target and work out before shifting...easy drill to set up on home range.

On video 4 there is another classic case of outrunning the gun...damn close to a DQ. I think you are trying to hard to mak-up shooting speed with foot speed.

Start working on some shoot on the move drills..Triangle drill listed elsewhere is a really good one. Make sure the targets are placed 10yds away or more. This will give you more confidence on calling your shots on the move and hopefully slow your feet down :)

Work on calling your shots in general, there is not a more important skill you can learn.

Pat  

Pat  

Two other points...and these are common....

One...just because you can run up on a target (by stage design) doesn't mean you have to...there were a couple of times on those videos where you could have stop moving and shot faster, but instead charged the targets. Remember perspective, if you stay back the swing from target to target is less, they are more likely to be closer in your field of view, and you don't have to move around them to get to the next as it appeared in video 1. I would have set up just to the left of the vision barrier and shot the targets, If I could have stayed back even farther and seen them all I would have.

Two...Just because you have 16 (or whatever) in the gun, does not mean you have to expell them all before a reload. I have seen many times where shooters will plan a stage around getting the most shots out of a mag before reloading. Take for example video 3. 4 targets... big run...3 on the move ...small run 8 shots through small port. I personnaly would have shot the first bank, reloaded, engage 3 on the move, make the small move and shot the next 8 shots. The reload takes place on the bigger run, giving more space, even though I drop a 16 round mag with only 8 out of it, it is the safer route.

One...just because you can run up on a target (by stage design) doesn't mean you have to...there were a couple of times on those videos where you could have stop moving and shot faster, but instead charged the targets. Remember perspective, if you stay back the swing from target to target is less, they are more likely to be closer in your field of view, and you don't have to move around them to get to the next as it appeared in video 1. I would have set up just to the left of the vision barrier and shot the targets, If I could have stayed back even farther and seen them all I would have.

Two...Just because you have 16 (or whatever) in the gun, does not mean you have to expell them all before a reload. I have seen many times where shooters will plan a stage around getting the most shots out of a mag before reloading. Take for example video 3. 4 targets... big run...3 on the move ...small run 8 shots through small port. I personnaly would have shot the first bank, reloaded, engage 3 on the move, make the small move and shot the next 8 shots. The reload takes place on the bigger run, giving more space, even though I drop a 16 round mag with only 8 out of it, it is the safer route.

Listen to Pat.  He knows stuff.  ;)

I haven't had a chance to check out the video(s) yet, but from your post...

Learn to call the shot.  That sounds like where you need to be spending nearly all of your practice time.  Let your shooting buddies go off and run practice stages (or whatever) while you work on calling the shot.  (you'll kick their butts later)

Your sights should tell you everything you need to know.  You shouldn't have to look at the targets.  Doing so can be bad.  When most shooters look to see the holes, they start dropping the gun down as the shot is fired.  This translates into poor hits (a type of flinch).  Learn to call the sights.  Take the visual patience to follow through.  And...trust your call.

Learn to call the shot.  That sounds like where you need to be spending nearly all of your practice time.  Let your shooting buddies go off and run practice stages (or whatever) while you work on calling the shot.  (you'll kick their butts later)

Your sights should tell you everything you need to know.  You shouldn't have to look at the targets.  Doing so can be bad.  When most shooters look to see the holes, they start dropping the gun down as the shot is fired.  This translates into poor hits (a type of flinch).  Learn to call the sights.  Take the visual patience to follow through.  And...trust your call.

In those circumstances it is better to shoot on the move, however you must figure out the space you need to get it done in, hence the triangle drill. Or another way I have practiced is to set up a start line,  from which to begin the drill either using a draw or from the ready, place 3 targets roughly 20 yds away, now place another fault line about 1 2-15 yds from the targets and another at 7 to 10 yds. On a start signal draw and move, keep the gun up, as you cross the first line begin to engage the first target and finish on the third before you cross the second. Make sure you continue to move through the box, there can be a tendancy to want to stop before the second line to avoid over running the box. You want to continue to move through. Sometimes I will use a popper to start and finish to prevent this. Eg. on signal draw and engage popper, move to shooting area, shoot 3 paper between charge lines, then have a popper to engage after crossing last line (make sure it is 10 or more meters away from where you will end up)

In those circumstances it is better to shoot on the move, however you must figure out the space you need to get it done in, hence the triangle drill. Or another way I have practiced is to set up a start line,  from which to begin the drill either using a draw or from the ready, place 3 targets roughly 20 yds away, now place another fault line about 1 2-15 yds from the targets and another at 7 to 10 yds. On a start signal draw and move, keep the gun up, as you cross the first line begin to engage the first target and finish on the third before you cross the second. Make sure you continue to move through the box, there can be a tendancy to want to stop before the second line to avoid over running the box. You want to continue to move through. Sometimes I will use a popper to start and finish to prevent this. Eg. on signal draw and engage popper, move to shooting area, shoot 3 paper between charge lines, then have a popper to engage after crossing last line (make sure it is 10 or more meters away from where you will end up)