Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax Loading Port, how far?

Hotrod85

I recently got into three gun and got hooked. I had a Versamax Tactical so I got the loading port done by a local guy. He did a great job, but I would like to open the port a little more as I sometimes don't get the second shell all the way bast the latch and it pops out between the lifter and bolt in the "floating" position. Not a big deal if it is shell 3 and 4 in a quad load, but is a pain if it happens in 1 and 2.

My question is if I open the port anymore it will cut into the mag tube about 1/2cm, is this going to be an issue?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Hotrod85

Here's the deal on that. If you feel inside the receiver, where the tube meets the receiver, you will feel a lip or ring of metal where they join. This lip is what retains your follower. Take the gun apart and drop the follower down the tube and you will see how it is stopped. You can remove as much material on the receiver as you want, but if you remove too much of this lip the follower will no longer be retained. The better the follower fits, and the larger in diameter it is, the less of the lip is needed. When I open up a Versamax port I end up removing the lip from about the 10 o'clock position to the 2 o'clock position (looking into the tube, holding it with the receiver bottom up). So far I have found the RCI follower is the best, it is a nice large .908 in diameter and has enough length that it can't twist pass the lip. In this picture of my gun I have removed the lip from the area between the two red lines.

0gwWGj.jpg

Edited by T Bacus