Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If any of you remebers the Open SVI/Springfield Gun - It has now gotte

czbeardly

As I spent the 2015 just shooting Open Division in quite alot of matches, in total probably 42 Level III stages, and 60+ Level II, when the season ended I felt it was time to update the old beast - Heresy, I know!

Either way, a friend was over to the states for work, so I ordered a new steel grip for the frame after consulting with the guys and gals over at SVI and a months or so later it was back in my firm Vikingish - Swedish hands.

Fitment was really easy, a testament to the things SVI manufactures - 20 year old frame, grip manufactured a month ago, no biggie, just a bit time consuming. I also swaped out some older internal bits that felt like it was time since I had run at least 3000 Open+ through it during the season.

vOytXL5.jpg

First it was time to strip it, probably for the first time in ages. Thanks to excellent videos made by Mats "Dalmas" Backstrom, a Swedish team Inifinty shooter it was a breeze. I spent a full night just making it clean and shiny again.

PenKdyq.jpg

I borrowed a huge set of tools from the mechanical shop at work and started working on the fitment. This took about 3 days since I used very fine filing tools, rather bad too remove to much material. A black marker was an excellent way to see where more material needed to be removed. Have about a metric ton of these pictures so one is more then enough.

B9EhSpN.jpg

...And then everything went back into place :) Trigger & Reset as short and crisp as before, everything working as intended. After a quick visit to the range, the added weight vs the old plastic grip was an improvment. Despite defiling a rare piece of history, I see it as a upgrade totally worth it.

Also, it felt alone in my gunsafe so I had to get him a buddy... A 5" SVI Sight tracker in 9x19, just because two is more fun then one! :)

lRdQ3V8.jpg

Looking forward to this season to really start ^^

Edited by czbeardly

Do you know if the STI mags 140&170 work with SVI IC grips? I'm looking to get IC grips but wasn't sure if STI mags work? Thanks

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure, both my bigsticks are SPS mags (and quite old at that, only takes 24rnds), but they work without a problem. I can check with my clubmate who runs STI with STI bigsticks, and see how they work, but that could be a few weeks out.