Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ambiguity In Classifier 99-27

We shot this one a couple of years back at the FL State and a situation arose.

The walk through read engage "only T1-T3" from behind table. I did as instructed and was a couple of seconds slower than the squad I hung around to watch.

Why? They fired the first shot from behind the table and then shot the rest on the move towards the barricade.

It was administered so poorly it was almost thrown out. I got answers to my "questions" like "You could've if you had asked about it."

Are classifiers supposed to be tricks with passwords? Who was right, how should this thing be shot / clarified.

It should have been written "Enage T1-T3 from behind the table only." Then include instructions to leave the area behind the table and engage other targets. I think it's clear what it intends - but it's not written to enforce it. It needs a fault line or, better yet, a box behind the table, and appropriate verbage to force you into the box. "Behind the table" is too arbitrary for a classifier (I know, it's not *that* arbitrary, but we're talking about gamers, here :) )

Answers like that suck, though. Classifiers are supposed to be well written and debugged so that things like this can't happen, anyhow - doesn't mean that always happens, but. You're not *supposed* to game classifiers, either... But, it's a stage in the match, and should not be treated differently than any other, so.....

It should have been written "Enage T1-T3 from behind the table only." Then include instructions to leave the area behind the table and engage other targets. I think it's clear what it intends - but it's not written to enforce it. It needs a fault line or, better yet, a box behind the table, and appropriate verbage to force you into the box. "Behind the table" is too arbitrary for a classifier (I know, it's not *that* arbitrary, but we're talking about gamers, here :) )

Answers like that suck, though. Classifiers are supposed to be well written and debugged so that things like this can't happen, anyhow - doesn't mean that always happens, but. You're not *supposed* to game classifiers, either... But, it's a stage in the match, and should not be treated differently than any other, so.....

EXACTLY!