Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Mags

cferree

I've been out of the game for several years, and plan on shooting production in the near future. Before I go and buy half a dozen magazines, I was wondering if anyone knew if USPSA was going to keep Prod. at ten rounds. I know this was originally due to the "Assault Weapons Ban", but since it has sun setted, I didn't know what USPSA was planning to do.

Thanks for the help,

Charles Ferree

I've been out of the game for several years, and plan on shooting production in the near future.  Before I go and buy half a dozen magazines, I was wondering if anyone knew if USPSA was going to keep Prod. at ten rounds.  I know this was originally due to the "Assault Weapons Ban", but since it has sun setted, I didn't know what USPSA was planning to do.

Thanks for the help,

Charles Ferree

Buy the standard capacity mags and only put 10 rounds in them for now.

I'm no great USPSA insider. But from what I've heard there doesn't appear to be any great desire to change the 10 round limit. Reason being it allows many different guns to be competitive. If the capacity limit is lifted there will only be one or two guns that are competitive because of their capacity.

The safe thing to do, if you live in a free state is just buy regular capacity (sometimes called hi cap) mags, you can use them with 10 rounds for production now, if the rules change you can stuff them all the way full. Regular capacity mags are easily available for most guns now at decent prices.

This topic has been covererd extensively here on be.com (if anyone wants to post a link to the thread) but I am in favor of keeping it 10 rnds even though I live in the free Commonwealth of VA (where all magazines are available).

Why?

1)I would like to keep things fair & affordable for all the shooters (present & future) who live in New York & CA where greater than 10 rnd mags are still restricted and

2) The limit of 10 allows the .40 to compete. If greater than 10 are allowed in, there would be such a capacity disadvantage that 40 would disappear from Production as it has in IPSC. Regards,

D.C. Johnson

There was some talk about setting the limit at 15 for Production.  I don't think anything came of it.

As far as mag capacity, go with the "hicaps". With the new rules you don't need a barney mag and full cap reloads are much easier.

If you choose to go with an 11 round mag for LAMR, make sure of two things: That you actually use that mag for LAMR, and don't accidentally load ten and then stuff that mag in later; and make sure that when the stage description calls for an unloaded or chamber empty start that you strip the extra round out of the magazine. Otherwise, welcome to Open Division......

A number of us locally are still using ten rounders and a barney mag, just so our loading ritual is consistent......

If you choose to go with an 11 round mag for LAMR, make sure of two things: That you actually use that mag for LAMR, and don't accidentally load ten and then stuff that mag in later; and make sure that when the stage description calls for an unloaded or chamber empty start that you strip the extra round out of the magazine. Otherwise, welcome to Open Division......

Yup, haven't made that mistake yet. :P I keep an extra round in my pocket and throw it in at LMAR or the LMAR mag is in my pocket with 11. I really don't like to have a mag with 9 on my belt.

For clarification, I shoot a Glock for Production. Glock Hicaps load well with 10 in them..10 round mags take extra effort to seat. I've had the mag I just loaded fall out during a COF with 10 round mags, not with hicaps.