Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt 'C' semi carrier as a poor mans LMOS?

RAZZ

So I was digging through my parts box and I found an old Colt semi auto 'C' carrier--the ones that are not full circle on the buffer-contact area. Poking around on the interwebs indicates that this carrier weighs about 8.7 oz. Now I know that it's no JP, but it's an once or so lighter than the full auto carrier I'm using now. Anything wrong with the old carriers? Any reason not to use it? Would one ounce make any difference at all? I'll find out when I can make it to the range next week.

The firing pin is likely not shrouded, so could hang up on the hammer as the bolt moves forwards into battery. This can cause malfunctions and/or bent firing pin retainer, depending on your hammer configuration. Otherwise, give it a shot - why not. You can get even lighter if you remove the weights from inside your buffer.

Do you have adjustable gas? That is generally considered a requirement to get real value out of a low-mass BCG.

If budget is the concern, check out Aim Surplus low mass carriers... same price as many GI carriers.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying a MicroMoa 16" rifle length gas system barrel, so I will probably forgo the adjustable gas block for now. I may try one, but from what I have read, that barrel would probably need an adjustable block run nearly wide open with light-ish ammo so I'm not sure it's worth the extra hassle. We will see though. I didn't want to go too crazy with this, so I figured the Colt carrier would be a good baby step. In the same idea of not getting too crazy, I will probably use a standard, non-H buffer (3oz) and light spring for the rest of it.

I guess the theme here would be 'mild.'

Edited by RAZZ

You will not save much weight using the Colt half circle carrier. They are barely lighter than the standard carrier.

There are 2 kinds of half circle Colt carrier.

Half circle with non-shrouded firing pin (SP1 type)

Half circle with M16 shrouded firing pin (this is the so called Law Enforcement semi auto carrier that came in ban era LEO guns) - I run one of these in my Limited guns.

Mick