Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tucson AZ (Green Valley) - free day this week - what to do?

I'm going to be working this week in the Green Valley AZ area. I think I'll have a free day, thursday, free. (Any miners here?)

I was looking into the boneyard tours at the local AFB. But you can't leave the bus and take a self guided walk - I'm a photographer - so stuck on a bus is not preferred. It looks like they used to allow much more freedom of movement.

Prominent vistas for photos would be nice, areas to hike, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Joel

Pima air and space museum in Tucson.

Self guided or ride a tram. Indoor hangars with nice warbirds. Nice SR-71 variant (can't remember the model)

A B-61 nuke body, good B-17/29, and all the classics. Outdoor tour with lots of classic 50's- 80's era kerosene burners. Unique stuff you havnt seen.

Also the Titan missile museum, just north of green valley. Great tour of a Titan 2 missile silo. Titan pushed the Gemini space program and the B53 warhead 9MT nominal yield.

Have fun.

Excellent thanks.

Are they photo friendly? The boneyard said no camera bags, big cameras, etc. They actually suggested leaving them in the car on their website... :-)

Thanks for the heads up on Pima!

I was at Pima last summer. They don't care what you bring. It is a private donation funded museum so I can't imagine they would have any unreasonable restrictions.

A family friend is a B-17 captain who hangs out there all day next one of his ships. His crew was the real Memphis belle story. I spent 3 hours talking to him.

That is the absolute best part of the place! The guys who voulenteer there have a direct link to a lot of the exhibits. If you talk to them you learn the human side of those beautiful aircraft.

There are your photos bro, Great American Heros!

Pima is different than Davis Monthan and boneyard. You can kill a whole day staring at the B58 Hustler. Sexiest weapon I have ever seen in my life.

+1 on the Hustler. I crewed one at Bunker Hill AFB in the mid to late 60's, it was way before it's time.

Pima is different than Davis Monthan and boneyard. You can kill a whole day staring at the B58 Hustler. Sexiest weapon I have ever seen in my life.

+1 on the Hustler. I crewed one at Bunker Hill AFB in the mid to late 60's, it was way before it's time.

Thanks, awesome!

UHombre, I think you are right. I'll check it out. sounds safer than hiking toward nogales :-)