Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major 4.26 inch barrel open. Powder of choice?

Targetpractice

I've found all my powders have a tipping point past which more powder nets less velocity, but if you lengthen the OAL, you can push it further.

I will have to play with that a little bit. I am a little worried about pushing my ammo much past what I am doing currently. My primers aren't very flat, but I definitely don't want to get blown up. I am worried that it might not be as nice in 9mm though as his gun, cause I really liked it.

FWIW, a dipped full 9mm case of HS6 will run right at 12.5 gr. I run 8.8 under a Precision Delta 115 JHP at 1.175 OAL---

plenty of room left for more powder.

Yea that's about what I would have guessed. At 9.1 the case still has tons of space left.

Also, what power factor is that and what length barrel?

Edited by Gooldylocks

I am worried that it might not be as nice in 9mm though as his gun, cause I really liked it.

Two identical guns, same weight bullet, same powder, one in 38, the other in 9, the nine will take a smaller charge to make major. It's up to you to decide if a smaller charge feels better or worse in the situation. When I had my super shorty 38 with three holes I decided there is such a thing as too much powder in an Open gun!

FWIW, a dipped full 9mm case of HS6 will run right at 12.5 gr. I run 8.8 under a Precision Delta 115 JHP at 1.175 OAL---

Yea that's about what I would have guessed. At 9.1 the case still has tons of space left.

5" KKM, 2 .156 holes, Bedell comp. PF 172-173. Grab me at Dundee on the 24th---you can test fire my gun and Nancy's too. Same ammo,

somewhat different setups.

5" KKM, 2 .156 holes, Bedell comp. PF 172-173. Grab me at Dundee on the 24th---you can test fire my gun and Nancy's too. Same ammo,

somewhat different setups.

Awesome I would love to try it out. Omar's gun was just so awesome to shoot yesterday, I am really thinking about the shorty for my next gun.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk