Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major 4.26 inch barrel open. Powder of choice?

Targetpractice

In a Tanfoglio with a 4.1" barrel I made 167pf with 7.8gr of HS6 under a 124gr Xtreme RN at 1.160", also with 7.1gr under a 135gr. I could have probably made major with a 115, but that might be a little nasty out of such a short gun :surprise:

My Tanfoglio barrels are faster than my STI/Schumann/KKM 2011 barrels and plated bullets are faster than jacketed, so your data may vary. What type of pistol/barrel/bullet are you using?

Anything slower than HS6 is going to take a lot of powder, but you might also find success with WAC, CFE or Silhouette (I don't recommend any faster burning powders)

In a Tanfoglio with a 4.1" barrel I made 167pf with 7.8gr of HS6 under a 124gr Xtreme RN at 1.160", also with 7.1gr under a 135gr. I could have probably made major with a 115, but that might be a little nasty out of such a short gun :surprise:

My Tanfoglio barrels are faster than my STI/Schumann/KKM 2011 barrels and plated bullets are faster than jacketed, so your data may vary. What type of pistol/barrel/bullet are you using?

Anything slower than HS6 is going to take a lot of powder, but you might also find success with WAC, CFE or Silhouette (I don't recommend any faster burning powders)

It's an sti match master. I tried cfe but seems to maybe be making too much preasure. I was having some cases that aren't ejecting out of the chamber. I have to drop mag and rack slide again to remove them.

Very interesting, what is your CFE load? (charge/bullet/OAL) How do the primers look?

Your issue sounds more like an extractor problem than a over pressure problem.

1.155, 6.8 gn cfe, fed small rifle primer, montana gold 124. Have some flattening on the primers but nothing terrible. Shooting minor with 7lb spring and different guide rod, it doesn't happen.

• 2 months later...

I'm gonna dig this thread up. I shot a shorty for the first time today (a matchmaster in 38) and I seriously dig it. It actually felt both softer and flatter than my gun, and it was significantly lighter! It was loaded with 8.8 of HS6 and a 124 MG JHP. I am loading 9.1 with a 115 in my full size (~174-176pf), how much more would it take to make major in a shorty? 2 tenths? More?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hmm. That is a lot, that would get me up to about 9.6 or so. But then again, I have a pretty slow barrel in my gun (9.1 for major with a 115 seems to be on the high side of what most people report), so maybe it wouldn't take as much. Seems like most people are making major with 8.6-8.8 with a 115 in 9mm.

9.1 of HS-6 sounds right in a 38 super with 115. As I'm at 8.8gr of HS-6 with 124gr in my full size 38super and I'm going to try 115 next and was going to start at 8.9 and go up to 9.1 of HS-6. Unless I'm missing something.

9.1 of HS-6 sounds right in a 38 super with 115. As I'm at 8.8gr of HS-6 with 124gr in my full size 38super and I'm going to try 115 next and was going to start at 8.9 and go up to 9.1 of HS-6. Unless I'm missing something.

You are missing something: I am shooting a 9mm. The gun that I shot today was a 38, loaded with 8.8 and a 124. So I am trying to figure out how much I would need for a 9mm with 115s. If I did get a new gun, it definitely has to be in 9mm, I have zero interest in dealing with 38 brass.

You are missing something: I am shooting a 9mm. The gun that I shot today was a 38, loaded with 8.8 and a 124. So I am trying to figure out how much I would need for a 9mm with 115s. If I did get a new gun, it definitely has to be in 9mm, I have zero interest in dealing with 38 brass.

i have found very little difference between the short barrel and a longer one. For instance, 3.9 gr of n320 and a 124gr xtreme was only a 20fps difference from a glock 34 and my matchmaster. My matchmaster with a 124gr plated takes 7.9gr 1.155 and it is a 169pf.

i have found very little difference between the short barrel and a longer one. For instance, 3.9 gr of n320 and a 124gr xtreme was only a 20fps difference from a glock 34 and my matchmaster. My matchmaster with a 124gr plated takes 7.9gr 1.155 and it is a 169pf.

That is especially interesting because Glocks have notoriously fast barrels. Assuming we are talking about the factory barrel at least. Cause if what you are reporting worked out for me, then that would probably put me pretty close to right on at 9.2 or 9.3, since my gun is so slow to start with.

very interesting.....

That is especially interesting because Glocks have notoriously fast barrels. Assuming we are talking about the factory barrel at least. Cause if what you are reporting worked out for me, then that would probably put me pretty close to right on at 9.2 or 9.3, since my gun is so slow to start with.

very interesting.....

yes factory glock 34 barrel. I was expecting to have to load much hotter than i do to make major.

STI barrels are the slowest I've chronoed, so HS6 might not make major with Montana Gold 124s, but you could load a little shorter, use faster bullets (plated or coated), heavier bullets like 135s, or a faster powder like WAC, CFE Pistol, or Silhouette.

I'm not sure what 9.3gr or HS6 looks like in a 9x19 case, but I imagine it would be pretty close to the top.

STI barrels are the slowest I've chronoed, so HS6 might not make major with Montana Gold 124s, but you could load a little shorter, use faster bullets (plated or coated), heavier bullets like 135s, or a faster powder like WAC, CFE Pistol, or Silhouette.

I'm not sure what 9.3gr or HS6 looks like in a 9x19 case, but I imagine it would be pretty close to the top.

yes that might be close to overflowing. If it helps, 6.9gr of cfe pistol under a 124gr mg gives me a 169pf as well. 9.3 sounds way too hot to me for a 9mm major. My friend gets a 178pf in 9mm with 8.4 of hs6 under a 124gr mg. Thats a full size though Edited by Targetpractice

It really depends on the density of the powder, I routinely load 9.3gr SP2 in a 9x19 with room to spare, I've loaded as much as 10gr

yup i understand that. He is talking about hs6 though. Hottest ive loaded for hs6 was 8.1 gr and it wasnt leaving much if any head space.

It really depends on the density of the powder, I routinely load 9.3gr SP2 in a 9x19 with room to spare, I've loaded as much as 10gr

HS6 is extremely dense, I am guessing you could get well over 9.5 in there.

yup i understand that. He is talking about hs6 though. Hottest ive loaded for hs6 was 8.1 gr and it wasnt leaving much if any head space.

Uhh... you sure about that? It is incredibly tiny. I load wayyyy more than that.

Uhh... you sure about that? It is incredibly tiny. I load wayyyy more than that.

yeah you can load that much but i guarantee your bullet is pushing on the powder

yeah you can load that much but i guarantee your bullet is pushing on the powder

well sure. Haha compressed loads are the name of the game for major aren't they?