Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing Weight From Idpa Gun

Azone41

I don't shoot IDPA anymore but this last weekend I was at our local match and we were disscussing the new weight limits on pistols and someone (not me ) came up with the idea of changing out the mainspring housing for one of the plastic ones to reduce the weight. I thought this was a very good idea because the metal ones weigh quite a bit. So if someone is having trouble getting down to weight it might be an option.

Use aluminum mag wells, lighter grips, std guide rod instead of FLGR, Titanium grip safety, enlarge under grip frame cut outs, milling inside of slide, and I am sure several other things that can be done, depending on division.

Thought of a few:

plastic stub guide rod

Glock polymer rear sight

aluminum crip screws

shooting without the grips & removing the grip screw bushings

Whatever it takes to play by the rules. Regards, C.

Not legal, but I never heard or saw them take apart anyone's pistol to check....

You can be like Nixon....not guilty till you are caught... :P

Last year one of the gun rags ran a story on the Sig 220 that Ernie Langdon used to win the CDP title. One of the pictrues clearly showed that Langdon removed material from the inside of the slide. Ooops.

"Milling out the inside of slide"?????  Is this legal?

Milling was a poor word choice on my part. Milling isn't legal but "internal accuracy and reliability work" is legal. Just make sure it is "polishing" instead of milling.

A couple of ounces isn't that hard to trim from a 1911 style gun with just parts replacement though.

• 3 months later...

On my EL220 I've 'polished' some metal from under the grips :huh: . I'm kinda crazy just ask Carlos. :wacko: I went to stock plastic grips (they fit my hand better than Nills) and removed some metal from under the triggerguard, dehorned the frame a little and funneled out the mag well. I also ground my stock serrated trigger down to about a 'medium-short' trigger and GunKoted it in satin moly black. Assembled and with an empty mag in it, it's weighing in at 40oz.

I also did my own trigger job on this gun and ended up with a 6.5lb DA and 3-3.25lb SA pull and shortened the reset so it's about like a stock Glock reset.

sigframes2.jpg

sideframes2.jpg

magwells.jpg

673207ff.jpg