Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DA hammer pull distance

ny32182

I have always had one gun where the DA pull does not retract the hammer as far as the others before dropping. I don't understand enough about the mechanics of the DA pull to know why. Would anyone happen to know? Ideally I would like it to match the others.

Here is the short drop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiitgoZeUK0

And a normal drop from my other guns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn7S637oTCA

It is the position of the forward facing and bottom facing surfaces of the wing in on the disco that determines how far the hammer goes back in DA. I fit a CGW T3 disco to my stock II with a titan hammer (shouldn't make a difference) and the hammer nearly touches the beavertail before dropping in DA.

The trigger bar as it moves back, it pushes against the disco wing, cocking the hammer, until the trigger bar hits the ramps on the underside of the sear cage and starts moving downward. Once it moves down far enough it looses contact with the wing of the disco and the hammer falls forward. When I first installed the T3 before fitting the hammer wouldn't even drop in DA.

It is the position of the forward facing and bottom facing surfaces of the wing in on the disco that determines how far the hammer goes back in DA. I fit a CGW T3 disco to my stock II with a titan hammer (shouldn't make a difference) and the hammer nearly touches the beavertail before dropping in DA.

The trigger bar as it moves back, it pushes against the disco wing, cocking the hammer, until the trigger bar hits the ramps on the underside of the sear cage and starts moving downward. Once it moves down far enough it looses contact with the wing of the disco and the hammer falls forward. When I first installed the T3 before fitting the hammer wouldn't even drop in DA.

So, the "solution" assuming the trigger bow and disco are in normal tolerance and undamaged, would be to file the frame where the bow hits? The vertical protruding areas directly forward of the safety lever hole? That would allow the bow to go farther rearward, before the angle on it pushed it down.

Or would filing the "nose" of the disco to allow it to go down more with the bow as it goes down, be the way?

Or filing the angled section of the bow that contacts the frame?

Cheapest would be the disco, but I'm not sure that would actually work! Pretty sure altering the trigger bow angle would do it. But, I just "tinker" and while successful at that... I'm not a real gunsmith nor true expert. Interested in learning what the best solution would be.

So, the "solution" assuming the trigger bow and disco are in normal tolerance and undamaged, would be to file the frame where the bow hits? The vertical protruding areas directly forward of the safety lever hole? That would allow the bow to go farther rearward, before the angle on it pushed it down.

Or would filing the "nose" of the disco to allow it to go down more with the bow as it goes down, be the way?

Or filing the angled section of the bow that contacts the frame?

Cheapest would be the disco, but I'm not sure that would actually work! Pretty sure altering the trigger bow angle would do it. But, I just "tinker" and while successful at that... I'm not a real gunsmith nor true expert. Interested in learning what the best solution would be.

The trigger is ramped down by the bottom of the seat cage not the frame. I would never file on the frame! I suppose you could try moving the angle rearwar on the underside of the seat cage but my best suggestion would be to get a ne disco. Same as your other one would probably be fine, it may have just been out of spec, Or for a T3 disco the way you want.

I've replaced all the stock interruptors on my Tanfos with the two wing version. Experiments with ththe one wing were that it dropped the hammer too early. Also, on my gun with the Xtreme Delta hammer (not my guns with the Titan hammers) the DA is shorter. I'm hoping to fix it with a different interruptor bu might just put in a heavier hammer spring.

IMO the T3 disco from CGW isn't worth messing with. I get why people do it, but the changes you can accomplish with it don't matter to me. Hopefully you can fix the short DA stroke without it, but it probably is worth a try if a factory part doesn't do the trick.