Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dpms 308 low hangaurd options

Brian04rs

Looking for a handgaurd for a dpms 308 low and curious what everyone's preference is. Gun will be for heavy metal and hunting. Not too concerned about weight as much barrel nut design. Thanks in advance for the help

I put a Midwest Industries 12" handguard on my DPMS .308 that I'm quite happy with. Installation was a breeze. The only slightly tricky part was reducing the front sight base down to a low-profile gas block that fits underneath the new handguard, my preferred approach.

I went with this one:

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1209

On my Tac-20, I went with the M-Lok version and it has its own proprietary barrel nut, but the wrench for it is included. I like that one very well. Light weight and small diameter. Like the other guy, I had to cut down and recontour the front sight base.

There aren't as many options for the low profile. The MI Gen 2 SS 308 is just about the best in my mind. I have 2 of them, one on the 5.56 and other the 308.

They are lightweight, reasonably solid, and come with a steel barrel nut and their own wrench. And they are priced reasonably and made in USA.

Mine was able to fit an adjustable gas block underneath with no issues. What is not to like?