Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alloy Frame?

Ben Stoeger

Hey guys. I am wanting a single stack 1911 for IDPA CDP. The one that comes off the shelf with the features and gizmos on it that I want is the Kimber Tactical. It has, however, an alloy frame.

How much more felt recoil am I looking at with this sort of a set up? My steel frame 1911 isn't to bad, but since this is for comp I need to make sure I wont be putting myself at a huge disadvantage.

Thanks

Years ago I did a test/eval of Springfield's full-sized Government Model with aluminum alloy frame. Strangely enough, in side-by-side shooting, it seemed to have LESS recoil than an all-steel gun. And that wasn't just me, everyone who fired the gun made the same comment. I talked to Bill Laughridge of Cylinder & Slide Shop about this, and he said he'd noticed the same thing. His theory was that, at the end of the slide stroke, when the slide hits the frame, with a heavy frame the weight of the frame gets added to the recoil impulse. With a light frame, that happens less. As Bill put it, "I know that doesn't make total sense, but it's the only explanation I can come up with for the phenomenon."

I believe the liteweight frame is the reason Glocks have less perceived recoil. Some say it's the grip angle but in my experience a G21 with a grip reduction recoils exactly the same as one with a full grip.

Though the low bore axis doesn't hurt, either :lol:

Daniel

Ben, last year I built up a pretty cool single-stack around the Les Baer .45 match barrel I won out at the Steel Challenge. I used a Les Baer aircraft aluminum frame and an STI slide as the main components. I've owned, shot, and sometimes carried a Commander for years, but don't recall ever shooting a full-size 1911 with an alloy frame until I test-fired this gun.

The gun came out pretty nice, and shoots great! With full-power loads, I do think it recoils a little more (in my hands, at least) than my steel-frame single-stack 1911s, but it's still very manageable. I have used it in the CDP division (I'm out of IDPA these days), and would do so again without hesitation. It would also be a good carry gun, although the trigger is set up for competition use.

The best part--I completed all the work myself. No grumpy gunsmiths. ;)

Mike

post-4033-1113618429_thumb.jpg