Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ben Stoeger Podcast #129

Nimitz

So I was catching up on Ben's podcast's and show #129 was about Matt Hopkins who attended the latest BoD in-person mtg. Ben just stepped through the agenda and asked Matt to recall the discussion from the BoD members. When they got to the topic of 'Steel Challenge Classification System & Rules Update' Matt said there was a brief discussion about 2 different possible classifications systems , one proposed by Phil & Max that he called 'time plus' where you would shoot 1 local match & then be classified and there would be time brackets on where your time fell to determine your classification. And then a "more complicated' one where you would shoot multiple stages over multiple matches to determine your classification. At that point Ben said "I assume that since this is USPSA they picked the more complicated one" .... :) but Matt said they did not settle on anything but did decide to allow some specific number (which he didn't know) of non standard stages at a local match.

Given the fact that Matt is not a SC shooter and is most likely not up on any of the history or previously proposed details of the new classification systems it sounds like some of the specifics we're looking for may have been discussed but also the details may have gotten by him. For instance, he didn't know that it was now required to have at least 2 of the official stages at a tier 1 match to be sanctioned .... he knew there was a discussion about the required number of official stages but didn't know/remember the exact number.

Not sure where this really leaves us except it is more obvious than ever to me that my suggestion to Mike that he needs to appoint a "Steel Challenge Czar" who reports directly to the Board, Steel Challenge issues will take a long time to get on the right track to resolution ...........

I know our President supports the idea of appointing a Steel Challenge Czar .... hopefully he hasn't appointed one yet simply because he hasn't found the right person .... ?

Edited by Nimitz

I don't think it's going to be a Czar but a steel challenge committee made up of AD's and MD's running matches month to month. As I understand it the nominations have been made by Mike and have to be ratified by the BoD before any official announcements are made. I do know our AD (Area 6) will be on the steel challenge committee.

This course of action is another great thing Mike is doing. Now if they would just get the damned appendix for PCC in steel challenge out so we can include it in our normal match I'd be one happy MD and so would several shooters that will be shooting it this coming weekend.