Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My First Match Could Be Soon!

Ben Stoeger

Ok my first real pistol match could be coming up sunday(IDPA of course). I say "real" because I did shoot a classifer match in March. I did pretty well, so I think the more experienced shooters will really be watching me closely. I don't want to dissapoint anyone, and I am pretty nervous.

How do you guys prepare for an important match? I was shakin in the classifer for the entire first stage. As soon as I relaxed a little I did well. I need to relax right from the start this time.

So how do you guys do it?

Thank you,

Ben

Breath deep. Try to notice things that you wouldn't normally pay attention to (birds chirping, trees blowing in the wind). Wiggle your toes.

And, realize that all the targets are the same standard targets you have seen before. In fact, they are kinda large.

Matches are the same as practice, except more people show up.....think of it that way....when you get to the LAMR, think to yourself that this is why you came, you can do this, and do it well...then relax and wait for the beep...let your ability show itself by watching the front sight, and concentrate on shooting A's...then, after it is over...and you can breathe again...enjoy, BS with the other guys and help out taping and doing what they need done...

At that point, enjoy it because you have become one of the guys... :D