Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strong Hand Only

SSGJohnV

Hello everyone,

So, I'm an idiot. Cut the webbing of my left hand open between thumb and forefinger. Got in a knife fight with an apple and lost. Doc says 14 days to heal completely. Florida Open is in 18 days. Any tips for training to do while my weak hand is really weak?

I can still use the hand, mostly, but a strong two handed grip or recoil absorbtion with my left hand is out of the question. Movement drills have already been suggested, but anyone have any sage advice for a track to take while I wait for my mitt to stop being useless?

Doc said I was lucky and didn't cause any nerve or tendon damage, just ripped the skin open pretty good. Cut away from yourself, kids. My parents were right.

-John

I've been shooting SHO for about a month now due to not being able to use my left arm (just a couple of week left to go!).

Haven't tried to shoot in any competitions but what I've been doing is continuing to practice using a combination of powder puff loads in 9mm (1911 & Glock) and 22lr (Mark III) for trigger control practice.

After a couple of weeks I then progressed to normal full power loads in 9mm (1911 only) and it has worked out well. I should mention that my 1911 has aggressive grips (VZ G10's) which helps a lot with control.

Edited by techj

Are you still able to grip the gun at all with your weak hand? Are you able to dryfire? If so can your grip the gun enough to control it?

Working on movement going to be a big thing and the rest can be a lot of strong hand only marksmanship type shooting

Just thinking but can you squeeze your fingers on your left hand into the palm of your hand with no pain? If so, I don't see your left hand thumb webbing cut as being much of a problem. Just let your thumb kind of "hang". This is assuming you are right handed of course. Now, granted my webbing isn't cut but I use my fingers squeezing mostly with only a little pressure from my thumb on my support hand.

If you can't do that, then I guess tons of dry fire strong hand only.

MLM

I picked up my new open gun yesterday, and have been shooting it. I seem to be able to maintain a freestyle grip ok, but anything more than a mag or so every 5 minutes hurts. I shot one round left hand only..I am not a smart man.

Should be good for the open with dry fire every night. Got 500 rounds in over the last two days to start the break in and do load testing. Going to be doing a lot of movement training with the dot every night. Stitches come out on Tuesday. Thanks for all of the advice.