Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB - Plastic nubs on toolhead deformed?

I have a Square Deal B on the way, and I have acquired a couple of used conversions already before the press arrives. I have no idea about round count on either of them, but on one of them, I notice that the plastic nubs that the sizing die pushes up against on station one look noticeably deformed. I am not at home right now and haven't taken a picture, but I wondered if anyone else ever experienced this and if it presents any kind of problem. Will the toolhead need to be replaced because of that?

Thanks.

I have a couple of 30 year old SD's, the tool head is steel. The plastic shim comes off and you drop a new one on.

The original ones were white the ones they have sent as replacements are blue.

Yeah, this is the part I'm not sure about. Around the hole for station 1 are three "nubs", which look as though they have been compressed or even somewhat deformed. I didn't know if that was normal, or if the plastic part will need to be replaced.

I'm working on uploading a picture.

Edited by JLarsson

Okay - I finally found the answer in a Dillon YouTube video about cleaning the SDB. The "nubs" are called "compression bumps", they DO eventually wear out, and Dillon will replace the plastic plate under warranty at that point.

The test is whether the sizing die touches the shellplate when sizing a fired case. If it does, and if the sized brass freely chambers fully and freely falls out of the chamber, all is well. If the sizing die does NOT touch the shellplate when sizing, the plastic plate needs to be replaced.

I'se learnin'. It's slow goin' some days.....