Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loads For 356tsw

reddogiii

Do a google search on "Jeff Maass reloading" or just look in the resources section of the reloading section of this forum for a link to Jeff Maass Website; the data for 9x21 that he lists should provide a STARTING POINT for TSW (9x21.5mm).

Thanks for the information, Carlos. I only found one load there even approaches what I was told the factory load is: 6.6gr VV-3N37 load at 1227 fps @ 42,800 psi which uses a hollow point. Was told original load approaches 1300 fps @ 50,000 psi and I wanted a full metal jacket.

I used 130gr and 135gr bullets w/ 3N37 in 9x21 (and 175PF Major) a ways back. 124s were possible, too, but I didn't want to totally beat up my P9 Open gun. You'd probably have to compress the heck out of anything slower than that. I also used W540 in those weights.

A 147 @ 1300 is pretty stout (191 PF) - that load you found is well over VV's book max for 9x21 (1.3gr over it, in fact). You're definitely in uncharted territory, there. VV also lists slower powders, interestingly - N350 and N105, but neither near the velocities you're looking at.

Have you tried an email to S&W to see if they still have loading data for the cartridge laying around???

reddogiii,

What are you trying to do with this gun/ammo?  Is it an open gun?  For competition?

Dear OHIO,

Yes this is an S & W Performance Center Gun. "This handgun is a .356 TS&W Limited class pistol. It is designed to give the limited class IPSC shooter a Major Caliber gun ready for competition, right out of the box." (from S & W Performance Center letter by Thomas J. Kelly)

I was just hoping somebody somewhere would know what the original load was. Federal used to make the ammo but they won't disclose the load. I have not been able to get a response from S & W yet.

The Internationally Famous Alaska Half-a-Beef Shoot (centerfire rifle, shotgun, pistol, and rimfire) is coming up on April 23-24, and I was hoping to use this gun for the pistol portion of the competition. I am looking for an accurate load.

Got it. Will not address PF or load, but I believe that you will find the jacketed hollow point 147s are most accurate among the 147 grn bullets. I have used the Zero JHP 147 & believe it is excellent. Second to that would be a Hornady 147 jacketed bullet. I believe Montana Gold also makes a 147 JHP. Regards, D.C. Johnson