Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canalure vs setback seating

rblum

Until now, I have always reloaded with bullets without a canalure.  I set it up so that the bullet is set  back from the lands.   Is this neccisary when reloading with a bullet with a canalure?  Can I just seat them so that the brass grabs the bullet at the canalure?

rblum, When I load cannelured bullets in either handgun or rifle, I treat them just like any other bullet and load for desired length only.  If the cannelure happens to line up at the end of the casemouth when my desired OAL is met, then peachy! :)  But, it usually ends up somewhere noticeably forward of the case mouth.  I don't own anything bigger than a .308 so I've never had problems with recoil shoving the bullet deeper into the case.  With handguns, taper crimping is probably what most IPSC shooters will do.

rblum,

Yes, overall length is your number one consideration - ignore the canalure.

Taper-crimping is an often misunderstood phrase because the process has nothing to do with actually crimping the case. All you need to do is return the belled case mouth to a dimension that just lays the mouth back down on the bullet WITHOUT indenting the bullet AT ALL. Measured with the thin end of a digital caliper, this dimension should be the total of two case wall thicknesses plus the bullet diameter. The bullet tension is (or should be) controlled by the dimension the neck expander returns the re-sized case to, and its resulting fit with the bullet's diameter.

Maybe we should start a world-wide push for a new name for this operation... What about - "The flare-returning die"?

:) be