Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This Is So Insignificant But I Hate It

sleipnir

In the grand scheme of things this is very tiny, but I hate it when my knees hurt after a match. Got to the range at 08:00 to set up, shot the match, left after tearing down at 16:30. And now my knees hurt and my legs are stiff. I'm walking like Walter Brennen in the "Real McCoys". My feet hurt, too. My wife keeps asking me why I put myself through this. I tell her that the range time is good time but she doesn't see that, just my stiff walk. I think that I'll quit fighting it and take some ibuprofen. I'm right fond of that stuff lately.

I hate it too.

I'd be OK if I never pasted, scored or anything else. As it is, I do work at matches and my right knee is killing me by the end of the match. If I have to go prone or down on my knees, then it's all I can do to get in the Blazer at the end of the match.

I've already got a replacement hip and figure the knee is only a few years away.

I know knee pain. Both knees and one ankle give me trouble. At times I can not participate.

I started stretching out before I leave home and when I get back and that helps. I also take three Aleve prior to a match to kill the pain. I am about 5 or 6 years away from new knees according to my Orthopod. I hope he is right cause I can't afford the time out of work for a while (the joy of being self employed)]

Try the stretches on this web site. Do them Morning and night and report back. They help me a lot.

http://www.itbs.info/html/treatments.html

The stretch with the strap works the best for me.

Addition: My Family Doc also told me to take 1500MG of Glucosimine a day. I started but it takes 3 months to see any change so I will let you know.

Regards,

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

I hear ya. I wear neoprene braces on both ankles for matches or practice sessions now and have started wearing braces on both knees within the past couple months in the cold weather.

Otherwise I can't even walk once I stop moving and the swelling kicks in. I leave all the braces on over night...especially the ankle braces.

That and a ton of Glucosamine/Chondritin seems to be keeping me going these days. Been using that stuff for years...sure helps. I can generally see improvement within 72 hours but don't get the full benefit for 10 days or so.

Thanks for the stretches...I am going to start trying those!

Thanks for the ideas. I've been reading about glucosamine and condroitin and think that I will start taking it. It couldn't hurt as much as the knees.

I may also look into working less and playing more. That seems like a good path to take.