Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Siaga Mags

Garrett

I just got my March/April issue of Front Sight. On pg. 50, there are two pictures of competitors using Siaga shotguns with relatively long mags. I assume these are the 8-round mags that are occasionally found in the US. Or are they something else?

I did a search, but didn't find anything on Siaga mags that has been posted since the end of the AWB.

Anyone know if "big" mags for these guns are being imported yet, or if anyone has plans to import?

Here is the scoop: While legal, such mags are $80 to $100 a piece through grey market importers.

Former importer of the Saiga shotgun, EAA, dropped ALL russian made guns including all Saigas. Rmington picked up SOME lines like the Baikal russian double rifles but NOT the Saiga. Even prior to that, EAA made a decision NOT to sell you any 8 round shotgun mags after the ban.

Kalashnikov USA previously imported the gun pictured, (a Saiga 12C or folding stock/pistol grip model) but only sold it to Law Enforecment - along with the 8 rounders. Not for sale to you even after the ban.

I managed to order 2 mags for my pistol-grip, USA-made, Saiga 20 from a place in England and since the order for parts cost less than $100, they sent them right over. Foreign parts orders totalling less than $100 do not require an import permit under federal reg.s. Huge price increase since then. The Saiga 12 forum or e-bay is your best chance. CDNN is running low on the guns. Don't expect parts support from anyone either.

There is a long, sad history about both the Saiga shotguns and the 8 round mags over on the Saiga 12 forum (do a search). Everyone is terrified that the Saiga's pictured in Front Sight will get re-classified as Destructive Devices like the street sweeper and USAS 12.

This gun has huge potential in Open division of USPSA (only division that allows a detachable mag). Sad reality is that no one wants to sell you the gun or the magazines.

D.C. Johnson

There were a couple of shooters at SMM3G using custom made Siaga Hi-caps, 10-12 rds I think. These were custom made by bonding 2 mags together.

One of those folks was using 10-round 12 guage magazines made from two five-rounders plastic welded together. The other one was using factory 10-round 20 guage magazines in her little Saiga-20.

Liota

I know someone who has gone the plasti-weld two fives together route and on hosefest stuff, it's an absolute terror, but the USAS12 still reloads easier as I am sure Alex Wakal will attest. A bobbled reload on a Saiga is a sad thing to watch indeed ;-)

You also need an awful lot of mags if there are multiple slug select requirements within a stage.

--

Regards,

The 8-round 12 gauge magazines are factory items, but have been selling in the $130-150 range on eBay. Even the 5-round factory mags have been selling for over a hundred (!) bucks, as no one is importing the little buggers anymore.

The Saiga 12C (with or without side folding stock, pistol grip) were imported in very limited numbers; they pop up now and then on Gunbroker. As the receivers on all the Saigas are the same as a AK47 (with some welded-on additions), a handy guy can pop the silly Saiga trigger linkage and receiver cover plate off and replace the Saiga kludge with a AK stock, AK pistol grip, and proper (semi-auto ;) ) AK trigger group. When Fred and I built up Liota's Saiga-20, we even installed a M4 stock (geek tactical :) ) with a AK receiver adaptor. She has five 10-round 20 gauge magazines that I purchased directly from those pesky Russians (before they realized how much they could charge and that we stupid Americans would pay).

Fred's red (comped, Doctor-sighted) Saiga-12 has his special 11-12 round magazines (made by, as others have mentioned, by plastic-welding two five rounders together, reshaping the followers, dinking around with the springs, and just generally tinkering a lot). When he hits his reloads, it works great. Otherwise...not so great.

I just shoot a USAS-12. Reloads are lot more consistant, and the mags (and gun) work every time. The operator, on the other hand, has issues. The USAS-12 will be available again (still as a DD, of course); once the new owners get all that legal stuff fixed I will post information for anyone interested in a totally reliable (but 12.5 pound) 18" 10-round-detachable-magazine AR-innard shotgun :wub:

Here are some pictures of Fred's red S12 and Liota's S20. The 1100 is Bruce Gary's now :)

http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/Guns.htm

Alex

Everyone is terrified that the Saiga's pictured in Front Sight will get re-classified as Destructive Devices like the street sweeper and USAS 12.

Seems like a good reason to get one now. If it were re-classified like the USAS I imagine ATF would have another limited amnesty, allowing owners to register the guns then, much like they did with the USAS, Striker, & Street Sweeper.

I had considered getting a registered USAS-12 at one time. Current prices are anywhere from $2000 to $3500. However, I don't shoot shotgun often enough to justify the price, when I have an 1100 already built for the sport. That, and I'd have to keep the 1100 around anyway, in case I wanted to shoot in a state where Destructive Devices aren't allowed. <_<