Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help With With Lee Load All2 (bad Crimp)

gingerbreadman

Iv had this LEE load all 2 for a while now, I played around a bit loading some 12 gauge 2 3/4 but Up here in canada anyways its actually cheaper to shoot store bought ammo so I kinda put it under the bench.

I got some loading supplies from a old school teacher of mine for dirt cheap so I dug it out and started loading again..

But I have some serious beef with this machine, first off the powder bushings are way off from what the chart says but thats a minor problem... Another thing I'm not happy with is the crimp. Its not very consistent. Im having trouble with the first crimp, the one that just starts it.

Is it just a flaw in this low cost loader or is there a trick to it????

Im using federal gold medal hulls....

-gbm-

My first reloading experience was with a 12ga. Lee Load-All in 1984. I still have it, and use it for special loads. Hulls have changed over the past 21 years, but I still at least try them all on the Lee.

Here is what I have found that works:

The Lee press is not tolerant of various hull types like a MEC. Also your component combination will make or break the final crimp. You can fill a case up to a higher level on a MEC and the final crimp station can be adjusted to cam- down a nice deep crimp. The Lee will not do this.

The way to make a Lee crimp is to find a bushing and wad/powder combo that fills the case no higher than the bottom of the old crimp folds.

For example I have found that a 1200fps, 1 1/8oz. load with WAA12 wads and a Rem. STS hull crimps better than anything. This load is with powders like Green Dot, Unique, Universal Clays, and those of similar bulk. The new Win. AA hulls don't work well on this press. The old AA hulls crimp as good as the STS. The Gold Medal is so-so.

You are correct about the bushings. A scale is a must. It takes some time to find the correct load height, but when you do, the Lee Load-All will make some fine shells.

I used to have one of these for 20 gauge. I found that it didn't like loading anything but either AA's or Activ target hulls of the time. Ask it to load Federals or the cheapie Remingtons and it was an exercise in futility. I found that the bushings were also way off and it was a bear to change things if the settings weren't right. I was happy when it was stolen in a break in and gave me a reason to upgrade to a Sizemaster in 20 gauge.

In shotshell speak, the hulls need to be of the 'skived' variety, in other words, the crimp area is thinner than the rest of the hull. That's what makes loading the STS, Fiocchi's, and AA's of old such a pleasure. You can load all the other ones (like I do) but it isn't going to be as much of a pleasure on a Lee Load all since that is a finicky press. The Gold medals should be easier to load, but I've always found them lacking over the STS's and old time AA's.

Vince