Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What makes a "good" 3g rifle? (long post, sorry)

Singletracker

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are lucky. In California, you have to decide if you can run an AR with a pistol grip and a "bullet button" (which is just a locked magazine release button and, unlike the media would have you believe ... pressing it does not turn your rifle into a fully automatic nuclear plasma rifle) OR do you run a kludge to un-pistolgrip your AR and have a working magazine release. Oh, and if you use the pistolgrip+bullet button, you can't use a 10+ magazine. If you use the un-pistol-gripped guns, you can have a 10+ magazine IF you owned them before Jan 1, 2000. Oh yeah, if you use the bullet button and pistol grip, you can have a compensator BUT if it's more of a "flash hider" then it's illegal. Configuring your AR in any other way is a felony.

So ... you're all lucky you can mix and match proper parts, and don't need a spreadsheet to build a 3-gun rifle.

I guess a Mini-14 would work too (because it's not scary looking).

You can build out what you want for pretty reasonable if you decide to get another rifle. Scour the classifieds here and you can find some smoking deals. My last AR build was about $800 (W/O optic) and is tricked out nearly as well as my higher end 3G rifles and shoots just as well. I built it out as follows:

Aero Precision upper - Sale $65

Aero lower - Sale $100

Seekins light weight BCG - Used $125

Nordic 18" BBL - New $200

Nordic 15" handguard - Used - $60

JP EZ Trigger - Used $125

milspec carbine stock with milspec buffer (removed a few weights)/spring/tube - used $40

Small upper parts - $25

Lo pro gas block - used - $25 (Nordic barrels do not really need adjustable gas)

Gas tube - $15

Burris MTAC with PEPR mount - Used $325

JM comp - $ 25 used

Total with optic - $1130

You can build out what you want for pretty reasonable if you decide to get another rifle. Scour the classifieds here and you can find some smoking deals. My last AR build was about $800 (W/O optic) and is tricked out nearly as well as my higher end 3G rifles and shoots just as well. I built it out as follows:

Aero Precision upper - Sale $65

Aero lower - Sale $100

Seekins light weight BCG - Used $125

Nordic 18" BBL - New $200

Nordic 15" handguard - Used - $60

JP EZ Trigger - Used $125

milspec carbine stock with milspec buffer (removed a few weights)/spring/tube - used $40

Small upper parts - $25

Lo pro gas block - used - $25 (Nordic barrels do not really need adjustable gas)

Gas tube - $15

Burris MTAC with PEPR mount - Used $325

JM comp - $ 25 used

Total with optic - $1130

Where did you find the nordic barrel for $200? On sale I assume?