Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inputs needed: Going from 9mm to 38 TJ on Dillon 650

cj36d

Just ordered a new open gun. Setting up a fresh tool head for 38 SC (Going to use TJ Brass), and making the necessary machine changes. I'm sure that I'm no the first to make the swap...looking for advice on setup and pieces parts I need to buy. Here's stuff I've learned surfing the forums, any help you can give would be great:

• I have a .223 shell plate (I hear this is what i need to run the 38TJ brass).
  • I have a spare tool head and I've purchased a set of Redding micro adjust dies for 38 super.
  • Currently I use a Mr. Bullet Feeder, and I know I need a second dropper station die...
    • Do I need a different powder funnel/expander?? It's still 9mm diameter so I'm thinking no, maybe just a second 9mm one so I don't have to swap back and forth??
  • I've heard about a station 1 locator change...do I need that?
  • Locator Pins...do I need a different size?
  • Does the case feeder use the 9mm plate for 38SC brass? I'm guessing yes, since the dia is roughly the same.

My intended load:

• Montana Gold 124 Grain 9mm FMJ
  • VV 3N38 ~10 Grains (will dial it in once the gun is here)
  • Starline 38TJ Brass
  • CCI 500 Small pistol primers

I posted a pic of my setup...

Thanks for the help,

Chris

Not in front of my 650 but I can share this from memory.

1. A second powder funnel is great as you might have to bring it's diameter down just a little to avoid setback.

2. Since you have the .223 shell plate use it but you can use the shell plate for

9mm, just a little more wiggle of the brass in the plate.

3. Your 9mm case feeder plate will work for the 38tj brass.