Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Metronome Drills

postal

Ithink It could be a verry use full tool.

We already use a timer to push our draws and reload; thats a two beat metronome.

Why not use a metronome to push our tgt transitions

Ithink It could be a verry use full tool.

We already use a timer to push our draws and reload; thats a two beat metronome.

Why not use a metronome to push our tgt transitions

I spent all day (at the range) today working on hard transitions....all with a timer. It's about how fast you can get your eyes on the target, not timing. If you used a half second interval and your eyes aren't on target, what would that help?....it's not going to make your eyes move faster, and you already know they're not on target if the timer shows it. Today, when I had a slow transition (say .15s slower than average) I knew it before looking at the timer...because my eyes weren't there, and I knew they weren't there. If you did one shot per target, you could use a par time on a timer. R,

it's not going to make your eyes move faster, and you already know they're not on target if the timer shows it.

I understand all you are saying. I just wonder why those cab drivers DID have all parts of their senses capture things quicker, and act on them, than the average human by a LONG shot. That's all. They didn't come with those skills, they developed ones that are amazing.

When will we know the answer? When one of the major gun manufacturers decides to wire up Todd Jarret, Dave Sevigney, Jerry Michalak, et al., and see if they have a particular vestibular trait that is common to them all. Special Forces guys tend to react physiologically faster than the average human being. That testing will only happen when they think they have a training tool, or school using a new tool, that can market ($$$) to improve the critical procedures to better shooting. I saw golf come a very long way in technology such that errors can be seen on a computer you are wired to. In 1980 it took a really good teacher to see what you might bee doing wrong if you were a very good player. How far things can go with training may only have to do with what the mind can imagine.

And no, I didn't watch "Universal Soldier" recently...LOL

Thanks,

Walsh

I knew it before looking at the timer.

Bart, I don't have a timer and I seem to see the same one than is bluish and hangs from the belt so you can look down and see the readings.

Are you using that one? I'm in the market for one that should last and maybe even let me drop it a few times!

Thanks,

Walsh

One man's opinion: two of the worst concepts to develop, and to have perpetuated, in shooting are (a) "double tap," and (B) "cadence." Both of these concepts are contrary to the primary basis of successful practical shooting: seeing your sights and calling your shot.

The use of a metronome suggests that shooting should follow some sort of a regular and repeated speed, that one can and should actuate the trigger according to a certain timing. I was taught the concept of cadence -- trying to shoot the same speed per shot, whether on the same target or transition -- with the purported desired goal of speeding up transitions. It was great at first, because I could shoot at stuff fast, and have good transition times, and think I was shooting well, even though my hits sucked. I had to spend a couple of years unlearning "cadence" and retraining myself to see the sights and to let the sights determine everything else that happens [i.e., good hits, and then good hits with seeing faster]. The fact of the matter is, one needs to see the sights and to call each and every shot, period. A cadence -- and even worse, a cadence conditioned by a metronome -- is the prescription for learning a horrible long-term habit.

Like I said, just my opinion. Ciao.

-br

I have the blue CED timer that flips open. I hate it. I wish I had gotten the PACT instead. the CED sounds like a sick goose when it goes off....HHHOOONNNNKKK!!!

I prefer the clear sharp high pitch BEEP! of the PACT.

I knew it before looking at the timer.

Bart, I don't have a timer and I seem to see the same one than is bluish and hangs from the belt so you can look down and see the readings.

Are you using that one? I'm in the market for one that should last and maybe even let me drop it a few times!

Thanks,

Walsh

There's a long thread on timers in the gear section, but the short version is that most folks seemed to recommend the CED7000. I have a CED7000, CED8000 and a Pocket Pro II and I use the 7000 the most (by far). They have a belt clip for it that lets you flip it upwards to read the numbers as well as a host of other attachment options. The only big problem it has is the beep is pretty high pitched and some folks with hearing loss can't hear it. R,

I understand all you are saying. I just wonder why those cab drivers DID have all parts of their senses capture things quicker, and act on them, than the average human by a LONG shot. That's all. They didn't come with those skills, they developed ones that are amazing.

Did they use a metronome? laugh.gif

Here is the sticking point... It is easy enough to learn to go faster. In fact, it's too easy. Many new shooters (and quite a few experienced shooters) make that the goal. But, we still need to hit the target.

To hit the target, we need input from our senses (mostly vision) to align the gun with the target. The last thing we need is our dumb brains getting in the way by ticking off a trigger cue.

The trick would be to use the tool (metronome) to train the vision, not the finger. If you are good enough to manage that, then you probably don't need the tool in the first place.

If you want to speed up your vision (a great goal !), there are some drills for that around here. Hit that search engine.