Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the Trijicon RMR too small for an open gun ?

zipollini

I'm currently using a burris fastfire iii. I hated it at 1st... I added a gaspedal and it took the jiggle out of the dot. Puts the dot at almost the same spot as the cmore at 90 but a tad lower. It's nice because it doesn't block the left hand view.

I'm not sure it can be lower than a 90 mounted cmore. The glass is almost touching slide. On any upright mount you have gap between mount and side plus the thickness of the sight body before the glass starts. Typically about an inch higher than a 90 cmore.

regarding the size of the RMR for an open gun. Is the sight window too small ?

The biggest problem most beginners have when they switch over to

OPEN, is that they have (I did too) trouble "finding the dot".

When I first started shooting OPEN, I'd draw the gun and then spend

1-2 seconds trying to "find the dot". :surprise:

Worse was when it was a weak hand stage or a strange position.

At times like that, the LARGER the "window", the better.

Yes, you can use a very small window, but it can be a serious

handicap - will increase your time, not your accuracy.

Depends on how much practice you get and how co-ordinated

you are - YOU might be able to get away with a small "window",

but it is a disadvantage. :cheers:

I'm not sure it can be lower than a 90 mounted cmore. The glass is almost touching slide. On any upright mount you have gap between mount and side plus the thickness of the sight body before the glass starts. Typically about an inch higher than a 90 cmore.

Beer. The glass isn't lower then the cmore but when I placed them side by side the dot itself when the gun was pointed and dot centered was a tad bit lower. It may be going from 6 to 3 min dot. Just what I noticed.

I am brand new to Open. A half season or so under my belt. I picked up a Glock 34 MOS. So since the slide was already milled I went with the trijicon. I have had quite a bit of trouble finding it, I have heard that is a common problem when first using the RMR or any optic on a handgun. I spent a hour or so a week dancing around my house with my rig on and attempting to "find the dot" after spending some time with it I don't feel it is bad to have a small window. But I think learning on a bigger window would be easier.

I am brand new to Open. A half season or so under my belt. I picked up a Glock 34 MOS. So since the slide was already milled I went with the trijicon. I have had quite a bit of trouble finding it, I have heard that is a common problem when first using the RMR or any optic on a handgun. I spent a hour or so a week dancing around my house with my rig on and attempting to "find the dot" after spending some time with it I don't feel it is bad to have a small window. But I think learning on a bigger window would be easier.

Are you brand new to Glock also? I have the RMR on a 34. The RMR window is very small compared to other slide mounted dots. The Glock does not point well for me ( I have a few years shooting open with 2011). Harder to find the dot on presentation. The RMR is also harder to shoot with. I used a Docter years ago and remember the transitions were faster with the Dr.

Your mileage may vary and you might love the RMR.

Even if I moved the RMR to another platform-I would not stay with the RMR for Carry Optics. I feel the RMR is better suited for a dedicated carry gun.

Beer. The glass isn't lower then the cmore but when I placed them side by side the dot itself when the gun was pointed and dot centered was a tad bit lower. It may be going from 6 to 3 min dot. Just what I noticed.

Ahh I see said the blind man. :) you did say 'dot' but I read 'glass'. I guess it is possible with the dot being centered in a smaller window it could be very low.