Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading data for 200 HP

Justin C.

I have been loading Rainier 230 RN with 4.9 gr VV n320. I want to work up a loading recipe for Rainier 200 HP with same powder. The RN projectiles are 0.64-0.66 while the HP are 0.594-0.596 (0.59). The OAL for my RN loads is 1.26 and have had no issues with those in my full size or commander size 1911s.

What would be a good starting point for OAL and powder loads for the Rainier 200 HPs?

• 2 weeks later...

I have just started playing with these myself. First rounds I seated at OAL 1.230, but bullet dia right in front of the case mouth seems to suggest that's beyond the point where the taper starts.

Got some loaded this morning to 1.245 and the bullet dia in front of the case mouth is now more realistic. I also tried some with OAL 1.255 but when loading them in a magazine (2011) they seem to hang up inside.

First load was 5.3 and 5.5gr N320, cases came out rather black on one side after shooting. Bumping now to 5.6 and see what happens (test was done in 25F temp). No chrono data yet.

Edit: I need to learn how to read; my bullets are X-treme brand.

Edited by DEP44

I'm working up loads for the Rainier 200 HP myself, along with the Hornady 200 HAP. Currently at 6.7 - 6.8gr of WSF, with 1.24 OAL. Hoping to get some chrono data tomorrow.

So far the accuracy of both is very good. Thinking I will use the Rainiers for practice and the HAP for matches.

Tom