Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X-treme Bullets .45 ACP 230 RN seating issues

JJP161

I finally picked up some X-Treme Bullets .45 ACP 230 RN yesterday at Cabelas for a decent price. With that said I promptly headed home to load some on my Dillon 550b with my Dillon Dies. I find that no matter which way the seating stem is facing it leaves an indentation around the bullet about midway down. It's a complete circle around the bullet. It does not break through the plating but is certainly noticeable. I haven't fired them yet but has anyone else had a similiar issue? Did it cause any problems with performance and how did you correct the issue, thank-you

Joe

It has been discussed before and it is caused by the seating stem not fitting over the bullet. The edge of the seating stem is all that is contacting the bullet and pressing the ring into it.

It doesn't seem to have any effect on how the bullet flies.

The solution would be to re-shape the mouth of the seating stem.

I have the same issue when seating 180 gr Moly RNFP's.

I was loading some of these same bullets this morning and noticed the same thing. I figured, that circle is just where the bullet contacts the seating stem, no big deal. I fired about 20 of them last weekend to test a load and there were no issues. I don't anticipate any.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a follow up I shot about 100 of those .45 and i had no issues. So it doesn't seem to be a problem at all as you guys mentioned.

Now with that said I think I like my Berry's better so far but I will play with the Xtremes so more. I also want to try the Rainier 230 RN and perhaps some Berrys 200 gr SWC or the HBRN

Sent from the BatPhone using Tapatalk

Unless we are talking high power sniper rifle rounds, minor cosmetic blemishes arent gonna cause noticeable accuracy issues with most handgun rounds, especially if the blemish in question has no contact with the barrel.

I've shot some pretty mangled up LSWC's where the cone was all beat up from rough shipping. The "A" zone @ 15-25 yds didn't seem to care, lol.

Unless we are talking high power sniper rifle rounds, minor cosmetic blemishes arent gonna cause noticeable accuracy issues with most handgun rounds, especially if the blemish in question has no contact with the barrel.

I've shot some pretty mangled up LSWC's where the cone was all beat up from rough shipping. The "A" zone @ 15-25 yds didn't seem to care, lol.

Zactly. I cast bullets and see far more blemished then you will ever see on jacketed bullets and all mine fly true.

Edited by PREDAT0R